1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Besides cam phasers whatelse goes wrong with the 5.4 3v's? Can they be reliable

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by ng8264723, Feb 12, 2015.

1. ng8264723

I'm debating buying a new truck or fixing my old one.

2. 99TTGT

on mine 2007 never had any issues with anything.35,000 miles on it

3. testchimp

Don't the plugs rip the threads out of the heads and break off sometimes when you remove them?

My friends factory built 5.4 3 valve had no oil rings on one piston from the factory and used oil like crazy lol.

4. TTF/Ken Staff Member

No, they don't rip out the threads (early 2v's could eject plugs at high pressures). Yes, they can break off in the 2004-2006 models, heads where changed in 2007 to fix this. There is a procedure to change the plugs to avoid breaking them, and it's usually only if you let them go a long time without changing them.

5. ng8264723

great mine is an 06. I'm having the cam phasers changed now. Do you guys recommend neverseizing the plugs?

- - - Updated - - -

great mine is an 06. I'm having the cam phasers changed now. Do you guys recommend neverseizing the plugs? What about pulleys? Would you change the top and lower? to gain some boost

6. 99TTGT

what mods you got on the truck?

7. prostreeter

If your putting any power to it the rods are the weak link.

8. Jeremy

I would not antiseize the plugs, they will back out. Just get a coated shell autolite plug, this prevents the 2 piece design from corroding and fusing like the early motorcraft 05/06 plugs did.

9. TTF/Ken Staff Member

10. Brain_Mach1

Champion has a 1 piece plug which won't break but will fawl. Coat the shafts of the plug but not the threads.

I installed the champion dry and they started fauling in a week.

11. ng8264723

It just has the roush blower no other mods besides a troyer tune. I'm having lock out phasers installed. I don't want this issue again. this will require a retune. I was wondering if I could safely add some boost since I'm retuning it anyway. It's my daily driver but I would like some more power.

12. prostreeter

How much boost are you running now on that 5.4? I had a 5.4 3v in a 67 Mustang resto mod with a Saleen supercharger with 11 lbs of boost with an email tune from from JDM engineering. I had a 3.2 pulley and the car ran great but I was always scared to take it past 6500 rpm due to the rods.

Do you have the gray or black COP boots?

13. 91turboterror

Wow I never heard of spark plugs falling out from anti sieze? lol you should be a comedian. So if you put anti sieze on wheel studs your wheels will fall off?

14. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Champion doesn't have these plugs in a step colder for boost. You need a step colder, available from Autolite/Motorcraft, and also Brisk (their's are 1 piece).

15. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Yeah, Ford recommends you use anti-seize on them, threads and the smooth part below.

16. Brain_Mach1

I forgot, I did the Champions on my truck before my Supercharger. Good call. They are still junk.

Put the anti-seize on the shaft only not the threads per Ford service bulletin. Ford warns about possible missfire if you anti-seize the threads. Modern plugs are Nickle instead of steel so they don't corrode.

17. 99TTGT

I agree .!
    we always anti-seize all 3 valves plugs & any others, at the shop as recommended by FORD MOTOR COMPANY

yes ,that's the way to do it.
    can I suggest ,maybe some HOT ROD CAMS to make that beast sound bas ass...< since you gonna re tune it>

2005-2010 MUSTANG GT HIGH LIFT HOT ROD CAM SETpart # M-6550-3V
    http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-hotrodcam-0509.html

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6550-3V?seid=srese2

3%20valve.jpg #ad

18. 99TTGT

issues that we seen on 3 valves with blowers is the OEM cam phasers is the pin breaking off & TEARIN UP the key way on the cam shaft.

broke.jpg #ad

05%20cam.jpg #ad

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  19. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Ouch. That doesn't look good!

Oh, Ford has an updated solenoid for these and the newer 5.0s. They added a check valve which stops the oil from "pulsing" and it gives smoother, more consistent lubrication. I haven't seen these myself, recently read about them. Have you used these yet?

OP, Troyer is no longer tuning AFAIK. He went silent this summer and there are good indications he's very ill. I and other of his friends have tried to get in touch but they aren't returning calls (even on his personal cell). I hope he's okay, but it's been 8 months. :( I'm very familiar with tuning these F150 Roushchargers if you need help. I recommend you don't run with locked phasers until you get your tune setup for it.

20. 99TTGT

for future reference on the topic:
    part number on3Valve camshaft sensor kit 3R2Z-6A257-DA

mgv2fDdGqONin9mjc4tD5Mw.jpg #ad

54584d1315085222t-cam-phaser-poll-new-phaser.jpg #ad

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015