1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Water/Meth What does it really do ?

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by Troy, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Troy

Hello all, lots of talk about water/meth and what it does to help some combinations. Would love to hear what the "pros" have to say about it. I have been thinking about doing a in-depth conversation/post about what it does for awhile now, why it works and who needs it but it would be a long winded post especially if it is already common knowledge. Really interested in hearing/learning from someone who may have seen it in oem applications or someone with in-depth knowledge of oem's and emissions knowledge.

I have read/tested a lot over the last few years, reducing air intake temperature is NOT where water/meth is of benefit. Its what it does in the chamber that matters, so far I have been totally unsuccessful at finding real data/information. Even manufactures of "water/meth kits" don't really explain why it works or maybe they just don't want to go into detail ? FYI, I do not sell water meth kits, just a obsessed hot rodder with a lot of emissions, oem repair experience

Troy Clark

2. Forcefed86

Water inj. and Meth inj. are really two different topics. Each with it's own advantages.

It’s main benefit is lowering CC temps and/or upping octane (slowing burn). This allows you to run more cylinder pressure without detonation.

Lots of good info out there with WWII test data on the radial engines. Here is one..

http://enginehistory.org/Frank WalkerWeb1.pdf

Lots of info from these guys as well

http://www.riceracing.com.au/water-injection.htm

Also has some small chemical advantages discussed below...

3. Troy

Thank you Forcefed86, But....that is what I am looking to expand on, I like the explanation given but I feel there is more to it than that. I have a "new" theory at least one I have not read about it anywhere and I have looked a lot !

The topic of EGR valves talked about above is HUGELY important. The true purpose of an EGR system is to reduce combustion chamber heat by recirculating already burned air/fuel(for the most part inert gasses) When this happens Oxides of Nitrogen are reduced commonly referred to as NOx and often mistaken as NOS. It is important to understand The Oxide part of oxides of nitrogen, Just like Nitrous is an "oxidizer" I.E. it does not support combustion on its own but when mixed with a fuel source it does. My theory is that "oxides of nitrogen" are a hot roders worst enemy, understanding it and how to control it will be the next "evolution" in tuning much like the wide band oxygen sensor has been...Interestingly enough the wide band o2 can not function accurately in a high NOx environment, it was not until variable cam timing(think early evo) and advanced electronics did OEM'S finally gain control over NOx production and the wide band O2 output could be trusted.

In simple terms, we fight heat, not just due to it thermally changing the shape of or engine components but due to the fact extreme heat in the combustion chamber will cause the formation of Oxides of nitrogen and Oxides of nitrogen will cause rapid engine failure in high enough concentrations, most notably in the form of pistons with a hole in the sides of them. Why the sides or ring land area of the piston ? The sides, in the ring land area is where raw fuel/hydrocarbons are trapped(fuel source) and when combined with an oxidizer(NOx) and a ignition source(piston ring scraping/friction on the cylinder wall) you get a flame that cant be stopped until the fuel source is used up. That is my take on it anyway

There are to many variables to list all the things that may cause a high Nox environment, spark plug heat range, chamber shape, coolant temp, bore size, ring tension, ring thickness, oil weight, ignition timing, cam timing , power adder of choice, intake/exhaust manifold systems, fuel type and so on. Basically anything that make's heat can contribute to the production of NOx.

I feel this is where water injection or methanol injection or any combination of it shines. Its real benefit comes from the reduction of NOx in the combustion chamber. While reducing air intake temp is helpful it does not tell much of the story, most of the heat happens in the chamber. The wide range of contributors to a high NOx environment also explain why some combinations benefit from water/meth or combo's of better than others.

4. Forcefed86

Assuming we are strictly talking about turbo engines here…

I believe the main concern is fighting rapid spikes in cylinder pressure. (which is of course related to many things, NOX included I'm sure) If NOX levels are impacted heavily by heat, then it’s safe to say reducing heat will reduce NOX. So by reducing heat or anything that contributes to heat will reduce cyl. pressure spike tendencies. (AKA pre-ignition detonation.)

It would be great to know what kind of weight (percentage wise) reduced NOX in the CC would provide. As well as how close a relationship overall heat plays on NOX levels. If NOX levels rise linearly with heat, is there really any discernible difference between the two? Is there an effective way to reduce one without reducing the other? I’d guess an EGR valve would be a good example of reducing one without the other? Yet we don’t see EGR valves used in the performance world because…?

Strictly from a performance view point I don’t believe NOX has as much of an impact as you think. IMO putting spent emissions gasses back into the CC isn’t a recipe for increased performance in a turbo engine. You are taking up space that could otherwise be used for “fresh” air/fuel.

I agree AUX injection has little effect on overall air charge temps, and the majority of the gains take place in the CC. However I believe this is mainly due to a drop in CC temps and a slowing burn rate. I also believe unless you have a ARC welder for an ignition system, straight Meth will always make more power than water or and mixture 10,20,30,50/50 etc. Whether it’s needed or worth the extra trouble to run 100% meth it is application specific.