1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

AOD Torque Converter

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by nxcoupe, Nov 8, 2021.

1. nxcoupe

Who makes a good non lock up converter for an Aod that won't break the bank? Looking for about 3800 stall on the brake. Currently blowing thru the converter.

2. Disney Lincoln

I honestly don't think you can find one anymore. The only way to get a good non-lockup for the AOD now is to put a one piece input shaft in the trans. Then you can run a C6 style converter.

3. nxcoupe

I believe that's what it has. Is it exactly the same as a C6 converter then? I found all kinds of converters that are non lockup but wasn't sure if that just meant it was a C6 converter?

4. Disney Lincoln

Internally, yes, but the snout has to be trimmed back and the mounting pads thickened. I think it's a standard affair when you order it.

5. nxcoupe

Well, we are still testing. Still not sure if the converter is an issue or not. However if anyone knows of a good, reasonably priced converter, speak up!

6. KenC

I have a non-lock B&M 3000 stall with balloon plate but I'm pretty sure they don't make a higher stall.

7. nxcoupe

Thanks. I looked at their offerings because I'm a dealer for them but it wouldn't work for this.
    Update: we think we have it figured out and working properly. This valve body uses a switch for transbrake and for OD. What we found out is that if you give the OD solenoid 12V, OD is off, if you cut 12V from it, OD is on and it shifts to 4th. We were making passes with OD actuated causing it to feel like it was blowing thru the converter. If this doesn't fix it, then I have no idea other than to replace tge converter.