1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

intake for 5.3 efi

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by joes69, Nov 10, 2021.

1. joes69

Im looking at going efi and was curious on intakes.Im going to run e85 and thinking about the vs racing 210 injectors.Im will be running a cam only stock 5.3 with a 76mm turbo and I already have the terminator x ignition.I have been lookin at intakes and some of the ones I see are the fitech and they will come with fuel rails and throttle body for around 600 dollars.I would love opinions on intakes that you run or have run and or what works.If fitech isnt a good choice please post what you feel is.Im really looking for opinions since the efi is all new.I do have several truck inakes with the stock throttle body as well if those are options.Im looking at 800 rear wheel horsepower.

2. Russell

I would try the truck intake first. You have it (free). Others have made that kind of power with the stock intake. If you don't like it intakes are easy to change on an LS change it later.

3. tbird

truck intake or tbss

4. Mnlx

It depends on your goals. Lowish rpm, and need the torque, the tbss is a great intake. If its more race, and lives mostly above 7k, then a single plane, Holley hi ram, or the sheet metal intakes out there. The tbss has has made 30+ hp over the early intake on some builds.

joes69 likes this.
  5. F4K

Many who buy expensive aftermarket intakes find that they do not seal up very well. Do not pass pressure tests. Also they tend to be mis matched to the ports of their engines.

its not always the intake's fault. Generally the consumer is making wrong & mismatched parts purchases and using incorrect style of bolts, some of the bolts those intakes come with are just god awful it seems.

For example I have a friend who had a whole aftermarket block 427 built, it had some specific kind of ports on the head, and he bought a very expensive aftermarket intake with the completely wrong shaped ports. Cost like 100 horsepower and he didn't even think twice until I pointed it out. He just didn't know or understand the shape of the ports in an NA application are so important, the transition between them.
    So then he buys a single plane victor junior EFI or something like that, perfect matches the ports, very expensive deal. Tightens it all down using some jank ass bolts and I'm like "ok lets pressure test" we fill with compressed air and every port is leaking. Goes to tighten it up and one or more of the bolts start to break. Got it sooo very tight and still had a couple bubbles coming up with just a few psi in the intake.

Just an awful mess of expensive shit. IMO use a factory intake, factory bolts, factory stuff is successfully used at 1000hp sometimes 1500hp. No issues other than exploding a plastic intake once in a while from too much boost.

joes69 likes this.