1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Installing rod bolts in a 351w football rod

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by jmccart, May 17, 2005.

1. jmccart

hey i read that these do not have to be cut after is this true? do you have to do anything to the rods or can i just pop in the new studs???

2. pro tech engines

no you cannot if you install new bolts the rods have to be resized

3. jmccart

ok thats what i thought but i read that the football rods didnt have to but i thought that they did alright thanks

4. Linc's 84 351

wel, uhhh.....ummmm........a lot of us out there have just popped them in without resizing.

Not the BEST way, but when you are building super low dollar-input circle track engines that must meet claim rules.......

If you can have a machinist at least check the big end of the rods after pressing in the bolts, then that would be a very good thing to do.

5. jmccart

ok now... is it worth using the arp? or is stock fine

6. Linc's 84 351

The football rod needs ARP bolts to get the best strength/use out of them, but it really depends on how hard you intend to push the engine and how many RPM's it is going to turn.

7. jmccart

so i can just press in the new arp bolts myslef and it should be good right? ill be running 2 t3s on this motor

8. turbo66

Measure the big end for out of round with the bolts torqued/stretched to spec, then you will know if they need to be resized.
    Rod Bolt tensile strength on boosted (street type) motors is mostly b/s as the revs dont need to get up there enough to be a worry IMO.

9. Linc's 84 351

Hence why a lot of guys on here bend stock rods from too much pressure, but don't break bolts.

10. jmccart

so for a 351w twin setup should i run stock bolts or upgrade? will i break the rods b4 the bolts

11. Linc's 84 351

need more detail on entirre set-up.

12. jmccart

351w 30 over, stock heads with bigger valves edel intake holly carb 2 t3 60/63s intercooled

13. CWeil

Run the ARP bolts. They're hardly more expensive than new regular ones and much stronger. I do it on every rebuild, from high powered Ford to 180hp Mitsubishi.

The downside, however, is that with the ARP stuff the clamping will be tighter, so the big end bore will be tighter.

There isn't really anything 'special' about the football rods, it's just a different bolt head shape. Lots of manufacturers do it. No reason to treat them any different.

IMO, I would get the rods sized and honed either way. Cheap insurance on a high powered car.

14. Linc's 84 351

I don't see that. 45 foot pounds is 45 foot lbs no matter who makes the bolt.

Much stronger than regular 351W rods
    - - - - we aren't comparing to other manufacturers here, that would be apples to oranges. We are comparing between available stock 351W rods, and the football rod bolt head rods are the strongest of those. It surprises me you didn't catch that.

15. CWeil

Right, they're stronger, but that wasn't my point or concern. I was saying they aren't special in the sense of being treated any differently than any other rod bolt- resizing procedures is the same for them as it is for any other rod bolt, regardless of relative strength. The mention of other manufacturers was to show that they aren't that unusual- I didn't want him to think they had any different affect in terms of machining or usage procedures. I'm sorry if that was unclear.

I suppose I didn't word the first part correctly, you got me on that. Rods always seem to tighten up much more with the ARP bolts versus new stock bolts. Give me a break man, I had just gotten home from a 13 hour work day! :)

16. Linc's 84 351

I wonder if it is because they aren't as "elasticy" as stock bolts (less stretch)

By what means have you come to that conclusion (end up tighter)

Not fun....Every day is a 12 hour work day for me, sometimes longer...