1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

XFI Traction control (ITC)

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by SC68Z28, Apr 8, 2011.

1. SC68Z28

I'm considering ITC for my car. Need to know if it's a good idea for my problem?
    It's a clutch car that is track condition sensitive. I need to run the clutch loose or I spin, but if the track gets tight or the clutch wears a bit, I'm driviving thru the clutch.
    The car will go low 9's when everything is just right, but it won't stay that way, things change.
    I would like to run more consistant and slower, (9.60 index) with the clutch tighter and use the ITC to control wheel speed.

Is this a viable plan?

---Bill.

2. TurboNova

The ITC can help but have your tried playing with the Ramp Retard in the Power Adder menu? It will pull timing per second only for launch. You can taylor the power you pull out depending on what the track is doing. Similar to traction control but it only looks at the curve vs time you are asking for and the clutch input to start the timer. This is already a function in all XFI ecus.

3. SC68Z28

Yes Brian, been using the PA timing retard to fine tune ET.
    Just been pulling a few degrees at different times in the run to nail the index.
    Without getting into a long story I ran a 9.63 1st round qualifying, added 2* timing @ launch and drove thru the clutch.
    Put two rounds in the clutch and blew the tires off 1st round elims.

---Bill.

4. TurboNova

PA Timing Retard in the stages or the PA Ramp Retard? You can't add timing to the Ramp Retard. Most guys are dumping a bunch of timing at launch (which is what the traction control does) then ramping it back in as the track holds. If it were me, I would run the clutch tight and then try to kill some of the power by dumping timing at launch so you don't blow the tires off. You could dump 15 degrees for 1 sec to hook the car or more if you need it. This is typical of a small tire car drag radial, True 10.5 kind of thing.

5. underpsi68

Brian the XFI traction control works by just retarding the timing to reduce power?

6. TurboNova

You can run either timing retard curve using drive shaft or ignition limiter curve like the MSD dots but using driveshat instead of engine rpm. Use one or the other or both.

7. underpsi68

Thanks for the info Brian. I'm just wondering how well it would work with just reducing the timing??

8. TurboNova

Knocking out timing works very well, Taking out 5-6 degrees can kill 100hp in most cases. With the 2.0 if you use the FAST boost control feature you can also have the traction control reduce boost while on the traction control is active.

9. Wanderer

Food for thought; keep in mind I know nothing about this but... have you looked at the built in traction control system that is based on driveshaft speed? It requires that you wire up a magnetic collar to the shaft but the concept is pretty straight forward.

Heuristic mode Concept: The increasing speed of the driveshaft (and by proxy the tires) will only change at so fast of a speed before you're spinning the tires faster than they can grip.

Or as the manual says: "Rate of change in the [driveshaft] RPM"

It would take a good amount of testing to get this dialed in, but it is an option.

---
    The ITC PA mode may apply better for an automatic transmission based car, since it's time based. Ever read up on slew rate ignition control on the MSD Digital 7 boxes? Looks like the same thing (I'm probably wrong, but I'm looking at this in the simplest way possible).

10. SC68Z28

The traction control you speak of is a $400 option and is what I was originally thinking about.
    After talking with Brian by phone I set up the ramp retard and all ready seeing positive results.

---Bill.