1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

inline external pumps, vs Y split fueling options??

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by denmah, Apr 24, 2011.

1. denmah

hey guys i have some questions
    wanting to do a fuel injected motor swap, and i want to run 2 pumps

i have done in tank pumps Y'd together many times, 2x255lph pumps is great for big power.

we are going to do some external pumps this time, and i want to run 2x190lph pumps Inline with each other, as in, in a row.

is it better to Split them off, run the two pumps, then Y back together? or can i just run the two inline with each other

equalling a total of around 380lph or 1000hp worth

anyway, i guess it boils down to is it ok to run them inline and still flow alot of fuel?

2. denmah

example of split

3. Briansshop

Not sure I'm understanding... in the pic, the pumps are in parallel, but when you say " inline,in a row",that sounds like running the pumps in series. Parallel = more flow. Series = more pressure.

4. HAULIN IT

Agreed! In a row would not double the output. I'm far from an expert on turbos or fuel delivery for that matter, but the set-up in the photo doesn't seem to me to be the best way to go. I'm not saying it can't work...it may very well be on a car running fast everyday, however it looks like the pre & post filters have only one size bigger fittings than the pumps do (guessing they are 3/8"npt with 8's going into 6's ?).
    It would seem better to me to have either a bigger filter & feed or 2 filters & feeds straight to the pumps...same for the post filter & to the regulator. The system can only flow as much as the smallest fitting/restriction.
    What I'm getting at is that likely the full flow of those pumps are not being used...it may work fine, but if the engine NEEDS 380 lph (assuming the full ability of those pumps) it won't get it through the single area of those fittings at the "Y" or maybe the inside of the npt fittings.
    I haven't done any math on the flow of the fittings in question so I may be incorrect, however what appears to be a one-size difference could be a problem in my eyes...unless ofcorse the pumps don't need near the size of hose going in & out of them. You would want to do some figuring before buying & plumbing. Have Fun! Lorne

5. denmah

yeah we are planning a budget turbo motor, and the car is carbed.

we are going to swap in a 4.8 and use the th350 we have in the car already.

but switching over to fuel injection we will be swapping out the pumps. wanting to do two inexpensive 160-255lph pumps instead of a 400 dollar single pump

the car currently has a half inch push lok feed hose, and we were going to Y block it into 2 pumps then continue up front with the single feed.

catch what i am saying so far...

me and a friend were wondering what the difference is running the pumps in series or parallel and what would be better...

so two in series is better for keeping fuel pressure, and 2 parallel is good for overall flow.

2x160lph pumps are only like 80 a piece of jegs.

we just dont want to do alot of fuel cell, fuel line, and fittings cost overhead

its easy to over do it on a project like this, when i could figure out some kind of double inline pump solution would really save money for other things

ie turbo intercooler wastegate etc.

thanks for your replys!

6. wgsr-1

You would be better off paralleling them and not running them end to end. In the vette world, inline boosters can't support the HP of the same inline parallelled. I.E. I have a 255 with BAP and t-rex booster, was running out of fuel. I put a bulkhead fitting in the tank and ran the t-rex to the other end of the fuel rail, and Viola, more fuel. Good luck.