1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

downpipe size question

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 04red, Nov 30, 2009.

1. 04red

right now I have a mp t70 at 20 pounds of boost. I have a 3 in down pipe that goes through the k member and dumps behind the front tire no muffler nothing. would i gain anything by upgrading to a 4 in down pipe. car is a stock engine 04 cobra

2. stangboy86

you will almost always gain some by increasing exhaust size on a turbo engine

3. UJUSTLOST

Actually you will be surprised how little you will gain from that. I have a friend with a Nova with a 406cu SBC with a single 88 on it. He had a 5" downpipe and exhaust to the rear axle. He got tired of the noise and ground clearance so went down to a 4" down pipe and exhaust to the rear axle. He lost nothing but noise. The car got quieter and ran exactly the same. It did not drop a tenth. Just some food for thought.

4. ThomasWPT

You should definetly gain some power by increasing your downpipe to larger than 3", as long as you tune accordingly. A single 4" pipe will flow about the same as a pair of 3" pipes. Cheers.

5. ThomasWPT

04red, I saw in one of your previous posts that you ran a 9.9 at 143 mph. At that power level a single 3" downpipe is certainly a restriction, but at least your pipe length is short. You're probably close to maxing out that turbo as well. Cheers.

6. rare bird

First question would be ----what is the exhaust housing outlet size? Can't see any gain going larger than the housing diameter as that will be the bottle neck.

7. 04red

the exhaust housing outlet is 3 in also

8. MONTEGOD7SS

A 5ft section of 3" pipe has more restriction than a 6" section of 3" pipe. The exhaust gas is cooling as it goes down the pipe which will add into the equation, but personally if I was trying to get to the back of the car I would have as big of pipe as I could.

9. rare bird

True, but he said it dumps behind the front tire. Will there really be a gain in stepping the pipe from 3"-4"-5" ??
    I totally agree if it is running the length of the car.

10. MONTEGOD7SS

I wouldn't think so. My reply was more relating to a car that is going to the back. He might end up with 2ft of pipe, and that short I probably wouldn't worry about going any bigger than 3".

11. boooost383

bigger pipe will help u spool faster too........

12. turbolxcoupe

i have a gt-42(off a 60 series detroit)on a sbc 355 and i ran 3.5 from the turbo to the rearend and dumped it. it worked way better than the 3 inch from the turbo to the rearend. but the turbo had a 4 inch housing.