1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

injector size problem i think?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by zodicus, Sep 29, 2007.

1. zodicus

A friend of mine has a honda B16 with a turbo runs about 221 at the wheels and around 6psi, and hes got 360cc injectors. last night at the track we turned it up to 8 psi and he said the car kinda puked out on him. logic would sugjest that was the problem, :) but that SRT-4 really whooped him, so we checked every thing we could, fule psi, plug wires ect. all looked ok so we turned it up a 1 more psi. the next run it puked out really bad. From what he said it got to the upper rpms and started to surge and it poped a few times. his A/F gauge is junk so we cant really tell if it leaned out or not. but the guys that tuned it said the 360's where a little small. I have a set of 19 lbs/hr from my stang would those be bigger? also im pretty sure the 42's arnt gonnna cut it when the dart block shows. up any one know if those would be any bigger than the 360cc he has now? from what i can see with the 360's in the car they look basicly identical to mine. even the elctrical plug looks pretty similar. Are injectors standerized? they look pretty simillar. If we could swap them would the ecu be able to figure that out or should we bring it back to king motor sports?

misc info that might help:
    base fule PSI- 58
    fule psi at idle- 46
    ECU- hondata s100 tuned by king motorsports
    turbo kit- turbonetics kit for CRX with B16 swap.
    injectors- RC 360cc
    regulator- 1:1 boost referance adj regulator (idk the brand)
    fule pump- walburo 255

2. D347643

can he find out what the duty cycle was under wot? try turning the base up a little more but be careful itll put more strain on your pump.

3. zodicus

i was thinking of turning up the fule psi but isnt 58 kinda high already? i was also concerend what it would do to his part throttle fule trims. i dont want him running around pig rich all the time. are there regulators that are at a higher ratio than 1:1? mabye a 2:1 would get us the psi we need under boost without messing with is tune at part throttle.

at the moment we have no way of logging or viewing anything from the ecu :(

4. D347643

well you gave the base fp, how the fuck am i suppose to know what base is for a honda. You need to find out the injector duty cycle unless you want to just throw money at it. Does he at least have a fuel pressure gauge??

5. zodicus

yeah theres a gauge mounted on the rail.

6. D347643

oh i should have been clearer, i was half awake. With a gauge in the car you can tell if your pump can't keep up if the fp starts dropping under wot. If you think its a fuel issue then you should find out if its the injectors or pump....too bad you guys dont have a wideband thoough.. oh and btw i like to have a fp gauge in the car so i know my boost referenced regulator is working correctly among other things..

7. ShaneH

FYI...... a 360cc injector is like a 32lb/hr injector. So your 19s are nowhere close. 42lb injectors flow about 435cc. In a 4 cyl, 360cc injectors are only good for about 275 flywheel hp, so even at 221rwhp he's right on the edge with them.

8. zodicus

just got off the phone with him he said he just switched plugs and is pretty sure there gapped at .040, could that be the prob? I think i remeber seeing a thread and they said to gap it at .020 anyway could that be it mabye hes blowing out the spark.

9. D347643

well i've heard it depends on how much boost you're runnin. there is a chance with stock gap that it may be blowing the spark out, does he have aftermarket ignition? nothin wrong with runnin colder plugs also! :2thumbs:

btw did he say how is plugs were lookin

10. zodicus

no its got stock ignition. he didnt say what the old plugs looked like. i belive he changed then just to see how they would work i dont think there was anything wrong with the old ones.

He said he was gonna try to pull the plugs today ill get him to make sure to look at all of them. He has a A/F gauge but its a pos and i dont trust it. its either full rich or full lean no inbetween, the pulgs would prob give a better look at what the motor is doing than that pos A/F gauge.

11. Lucky13

Gap the plugs tighter as you thought, but the truth is that may have been your saving grace if he is pushing past the flow rate of his injectors (going to the lean side). So basically it started getting a little leaner, cylinder pressure starts going up (making more power) & then the plugs cant fire. If they had of fired it is possible he might of went to lean & we know what happens then.

Put the 42's in, gap the plugs at .028, and go have fun. Yes do make sure the fuel pressure is holding up if you can.

Jess

12. zodicus

will the injectors out of my stang work in a honda? if so thats sweet but can anyone confirm this?

13. mustang-junky

Quote from ShaneH

FYI...... a 360cc injector is like a 32lb/hr injector. So your 19s are nowhere close. 42lb injectors flow about 435cc. In a 4 cyl, 360cc injectors are only good for about 275 flywheel hp, so even at 221rwhp he's right on the edge with them.

14. zodicus

yeah i saw that post. the 42's wouldnt be a big improvment but a improvment none the less. however will they actaully work?

15. zodicus

well i went to honda-tech.com and yeah theyll work but they require modification to the fule rail,retune,and modification to the wire harness. So hes just gonna wait now and save the extra cash for bigger injectors when it goes back to king this winter.