1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Banks draw thru EFI conversion

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by Afxcomet64, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Afxcomet64

I’m looking at the old, some would say ancient, Gale Banks draw thru carburetor adapter for a twin turbo setup. I think it would be a cool nostalgia looking piece to use on a 68 Mustang project I’m starting. I’m just looking for opinions of using a 4150 throttle body in place of the carburetor and putting the injectors in the manifold runners. The throttle body is the old 1” thick Air Sensors?, throttle body that had four injectors in it. I would just block the injector holes. So air would go thru the throttle body and thru the carb adapter then enter the turbos and route back to the carb adapter to enter the manifold. Injectors would add fuel and mixture enter the combustion chamber. Aside of being different would there be technical issues with this setup? Would be on E85 with no intercooler. 1/8 mile drag car.

2. afxcomet

3. afxcomet

4. gruntguru

Two minor technical issues.
    - If the turbos don't have a suitable seal on the compressor side, you might draw oil into the intake under high vacuum.
    - Ideal compressor sizing will be 10 - 20% larger. (Part throttle will move the operating point to the right on the map.)

On the plus side you won't need a bypass valve and turbo response on (stick shift) gearchanges will be way better.