1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Dual Sync setup

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by TurboSN95, Apr 13, 2005.

1. TurboSN95

Does anyone got any tips on doing this? I have no distributor in the car right now, I pulled the dual sync out about a month ago and I'm going to be plopping it in this week. I found this online, i'm not sure if this is right or not, I kinda get confused where it says to mark off your old distributor for #1, I didn't do that....

http://www.rancefi.com/HeavyGraphics/gen_7_distributors.htm

2. 86gthatch

I have always followed the instructions with the gen 7. All I did on mine was to make sure no.1 was on tdc.

3. TurboSN95

I figured out how to do the dual sync setup, its pretty simple. But the problem I'm having is 'am i putting the distributor in the hole in the right spot' ?? I can't get the car to start, its just popping. I am sure that i need to take it out and turn the whole distributor. Now I remember why I never took my distributors out when swapping intakes/gaskets.

4. TurboSN95

I had the dist in on the wrong stroke. Took it out, 180'ed the motor and it started right up!

5. 86gthatch

Good to hear, mine has usually just been a few degrees off, havent dropped it in that far off yet.

6. TurboSN95

for all i know it could be a tooth off, i'm not that knowledgeable in this area. I am the guy that yanked the motor out, took the heads and intake off, pan off, changed main bearings and headgaskets, all with the distributor still in. :D

7. 7SEC_SN95

xjhead

Did you do this????

Position the Dual Sync Distributor so that you can see both the Red (CRANK) and Blue (CAM) LED's. Verify that the ignition is still in the Key-On, Engine-Off position.

17. Rotate the distributor in the same direction as noted earlier (either clockwise or counter clockwise). Continue rotating until the BLUE LED shuts completely. This will indicate the falling edge of the cam trigger position.

18. Continue to slowly rotate the distributor until the RED LED shuts off. Stop at this point. This indicates the falling edge of the crank trigger position. Your distributor is now set to Top Dead Center of #1 cylinder.

8. TurboSN95

9. 7SEC_SN95

You should be good to go then

10. TurboSN95

11. 7SEC_SN95