1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Can you tune a ford ecm

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 1951turbobuick, Jul 2, 2020.

1. 1951turbobuick

Can you tune a ford ecm to add a turbo to it or you have to have something else 1991 thanks

2. Disney Lincoln

Sure. Moates Quarterhorse and EEC Analyzer.

3. B E N

Your much better off with a modern management system, Quarterhorse is a pain in the ass compared to modern stuff. I have one from my jeep if your in need. Since your asking if it's available I will make the assumption your new to tuning, go with something user friendly!

4. 1951turbobuick

I can't stand aftermarket crap I have seen nothing but problem with them unless you have a lot of money and buy the high price crap I want something if brake down I don't have to wait a week to get it

5. B E N

If your qh or chip give you trouble your going to be waiting longer than that. This stuff it's hardly mainstream any more. From your tone your best bet is to have it tuned by an sct guy and call it good.

Modern engine management is not what it was 10 years ago, it's all very reliable. If you want to use stone age tech go carb and don't look back. A9l era tech is going to be a crap shoot, most of those ECM are going to be rebuilt. I had to replace the battery and several capacitors in mine.

fastspec2 likes this.
  6. 1951turbobuick

So my truck I drive all the time never have any trouble with you call it stone age ok you like to buy the Japanese or over sea crap

7. fastspec2

Jesus christ, another tool.
    He didnt say "stone age" as a negative you dolt, he said it as if you wanted something as reliable as a 2x4 and were willing to deal with its idiosyncrasies then a blow through carb is a great way to go. Most of us on this forum have run them with great success.
    He literally offered you the part you need for what sounded like free.
    You are visiting the forum that with the possible exception of the YB, has the most blow through tech on the internet, and you go full idiot when someone suggests one.
    Are you actually seeking advice? If so, then yes you can tune a factory ford ecu for boost. SCT, Quarter horse, tweecer, Diablosport, or a PNP MS unit are all options. There are others as well you may find while looking. Assuming you do.
    In any event good luck, I hope for the sake of the car you sort it out and its great.

Let the barely literate, non-punctuated barf response commence.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  8. 1951turbobuick

What ever dude I just like the crap they sell over sea

9. Pro-SC

10. B E N

What year f150?

11. 1951turbobuick

1995 motor all I would like to know if I took to a dyno guy if they can tune it but I think I found a problem with that is the map sensor might give me trouble

I don't have the money or want the overseas crap

If I go carb I will have trouble when I'm cruising it will be rich and wide open it will be lean

12. B E N

Yes, you can take it to a dyno tuner and have it tuned. It will have enough in common with a Mustang of that era that anyone who tunes mustangs of that generation can tune it.

13. 1951turbobuick

How about the map sensor will it give me trouble

14. B E N

I don't know why it would, competent tuner should have no problem. Find the tuner you want to use and call them and ask, most will be happy to answer your questions.

15. 1951turbobuick

Ok I do that on Monday I have a great guy 50 miles from me

Thanks for your help

16. ashford

im assuming you have an e4od trans. if so quarterhorse will work it should be sd48b hardware you can download the lightning tune and strategy and start off from there. no, your map sensor will not work it is a 1.1 bar sensor, i'm not sure if there is a readily available boost friendly drop in. This ecm is stone age as far as efi goes, i initiall had one in my 60 f100 427 na, a pita to tune, i ended up getting a california emissions f150ecm that will run maf, sequential,tfi and e4od. this last ecu has served me well but with turbos planned it is getting a megasquirt, im very comfortable with them and have about a dozen or so installs under my belt. i assembled the unit myself, the boards are american made, so technically 100% american made aside from some of the electrical components.

17. 1951turbobuick

No I have a stick shift

18. B E N

I think fast makes a 3 bar unit that will work for the truck. What engine is this?

19. 1951turbobuick

Well you going to be

Well I'm trying to work out a system on a hot rod from a 300 ford 6 cylinder and mount the injector in a aftermarket 4bbl intake in the ports but use another throttle body all the parts come of a 1990s ford don't have room for the tall intake

And with the turbo set up no heat on the intake for a carb to run good that's why efi and carbs don't run the best on small motor they run rich on low end and lean on the high end

20. Mnlx

No offense, but some punctuation would really help a bunch here. Why don't carbs or efi work on small engines? I believe he's trying to run the Ford Ecu on a Chevy inline 6, a 292 iirc.