1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

info needed on boosting pickup

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by painster, Aug 6, 2004.

1. painster

hey everybody-
    i have a 1988 F-150 with a 302, 5-speed, 4x4. i am looking to turbo it, but im not sure on what my internals are and if they can handle being boosted.

what im asking is:
    what my internals are
    if my stock set-up can be boosted and if so how much boost
    if it cant be boosted what do i need to change and what to.
    should i go with 1 or 2 turbos?
    what should i use for turbo(s)

thanks for any info to help me out

2. Traction Issuez

Whatever your internals may be, they're factory ford parts and therefore won't allow for much past 400hp at the wheels which on a truck is more than enough.

Putting a turbo on will be dependent first on the computer. Do you have a mass air meter on the air pickup that comes from the filter box?

Since it's a 302 you might be able to just swap directly from a mustang mass air computer, but there could be differences between the two that would not allow it without a mustang engine swap, not sure.

Figure out those questions and we'll go from there.
    issuez

3. dman

they were not mass air if I remember correctly. The internals, as izzues said are good for around 400rwhp. I see no reason that you couldn't convert to mass air. I know you could supercharge the 1st gen lightnings which were speed density. Call Vortech and ask them how they did it.

get a single 60-1 from TPS, the $500 front mount from PT&E, turn some stock 5.0 headers around and plumb your kit. 36# injectors and a 255 intank will be plenty for that. oh, and say goodby to your rear tires.....

4. 94scstang

You might want to look into this setup for a pickup. For 400hp it should be able to do the job.

http://www.ststurbo.com/home

Rear mounted turbo system. I'm not sure if the offer one for your truck but I'm sure it would be easy to adapt.

5. painster

i checked my pickup and i dont have a mass air meter. what would i have to change then to install the turbo?
    Will i have to mess with the computer or anything if i put in the 36# injectors and a 255 intank pump in?

6. 94scstang

Your cheapest option is use a vortech FMU and a inline fuel pump to boost your fuel pressure. You wont be able to change the injectors unless you get your computer reprogrammed and tuned on a dyno. You should be able to get 10 psi boost using a FMU and a inline 255 fuel pump. Check vortech's site they have these parts.

7. Traction Issuez

You're at a point where you're going to have to decide how much you're willing to spend. Because you're talking about spending a lot of dough on a computer swap, all the wiring involved, buying injectors, buying a pump, making it all work together, AND THEN you start working with the turbo part. You might want to avoid the turbo route unless you're very comfortable with what's ahead.
    The FMU will work but it's more of a bandaid than anything else.
    issuez

8. 94scstang

Doesn't the FMU work good for low boost 10-12psi max? With a small turbo that spooled fast on a stock motor would be really nice on the street. Much better then a super charger. Be in full boost at low rpm. With a stock motor you wont be going over 5000 rpm anyway.

9. Traction Issuez

The stock injectors are only good for so much and trying to push them beyond their limits with an FMU in my opinion is not a very good idea. I'm not at all trying to say the turbo won't be a total blast to drive but be aware that from a computer and fuel standpoint that truck is saying hell no from the start.
    issuez

10. painster

right now im just getting the info needed and ideas for the turbo. when i start school at wyotech in october i will see if i can buy the stuff needed for cheaper through the school than i can get on the interntet. and if i get lucky maybe the pickup can be a class project :p and get the labor done for free. and thanks again for the info you all gave and if you come up with anything else let me know.