1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Increasing injector line pressure.

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by furchaser, May 21, 2011.

1. furchaser

I have heard of people restricting the return line to increase injector pressure but was wondering if anyone has actually done this ...
    I am trying to get a bit more fuel out of the pulling tractor and already have an external pump feeding the injector pump that is pretty much maxed . Could this be done in the same way as a fuel pressure regulator ? :huh:
    Some thoughts ?

2. Mnlx

when I bought my Ford 8600 it was setup with a valve in the return, and was closed completely (no return fuel). I knew the owner, and had seen the tractor pull many times before I bought it, and it worked well. I then changed the system, and regulated it to 50psi, and didnt seem to lose any fuel delivery....... but I had to run twin pumps to maintain the 50 psi.

3. wantabe

increasing fuel transfer / pre charge fuel pressure will help
    either increase relie on the transfer pump,
    increase pump manifold return poppet ( the outlet valve that holds fuel in the pump)

what sort of system is it?
    common rail, inline, ve/vx pump ???

4. furchaser

5. furchaser

6. wantabe

CAV diesel pump

7. wantabe

they only have a lift pump, that runs on the cam ..mounts on the side of the block ??

1. u tried increasing max fuel setting on the gov ?
    2. lighten the gov springs, to allow more fuel soon in rpm ?
    3. increase max rpm, before fuel shuts off ?

8. furchaser

This pump I did not build myself it was done a few years ago at Kingston Diesel .. He said he got what he could out of it ..
    I'm not entirely sure what was done , or not done .. It was built to run N/A and did a dam fine job of it until I stuck the turbo on ..lol
    It still pulls really good but I would just like to get a little more fuel out of the injectors... There is a external electric pump feeding the injector pump and this is why I thought about maybe putting a restrictor in the return line to bump it up a bit.. I'm looking around now to find some kind solenoid type valve that will turn on when the Meth hits at 6psi and close down the return line.... Or I'm just retarded . :stupid:

9. furchaser

Yes basically.

10. wantabe

ok,
    more pressure in, ( called transfer or charge pressure)..will help fill the pumping chamber of the plunger inthe fuel pump
    the more rack travel / governor max fuel setting, will give more fuel being injected to the motor
    the turning off of return fuel will cause other problems , like cracking/ spliting the injection pump itself

11. wantabe

more injection pressure, will basicly just make a cleaner burn / more atomization of the diesel
    u need more volume

12. furchaser

Okay , that makes sense ... I'm not really sure where to go from here then. >:(

13. wantabe

methanol ?
    is the injecter pump opened up, rack wise?
    more turbo ?

14. Mnlx

but doesnt add any fuel delivery....... correct? just keeps the pump supplied with fuel.

This is what I worried about, and why I changed my setup.

15. furchaser

Sure could use some help here .. lol

16. wantabe

sorry, im just a dumb person...lol
    i know nothing

17. furchaser

lol .. hardly .. :2thumbs:
    I guess I'll pull the pump and have a look and see what they did to it and if there is anymore left in it...
    I don't want to turn up the boost until I can get some more fuel to it. First pull of the summer is next weekend and I doubt if time will permit any tinkering so we'll just run what we brung.

18. Mnlx

is this the Stanadyne/ Roosa Master you were repairing in an earier post?

19. furchaser

No .. it is a rosamaster but it's on the little D282 .. I have never opened this one up to see what was done to it.

20. furchaser

Batteries shit out on the only camera we had so I didn't get the video of killing the 6500 lb class .... We decided to load it for 8500 lb just to see how it did .. ( they didn't bother with a 7500 lb :huh: ) The poor thing gave it's all and surprised quite a few in the crowd that were pulling for the under dog .... lol
    I think the smallest engine in that class is a 425 cid and up over 500 cid and we only lost by 20 feet. not bad for a 282 cid.. :2thumbs:

&feature=player_embedded[/url]