1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Personal experiences with ssac

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by stubbs, Nov 16, 2006.

1. stubbs

Most everything I've read about SSautochrome, their products, and customer service is negative, but with one thing in common, none of it is from personal experience it's all "oh my brothers friends wife's uncle's brother had one and it cracked in half." And that was what oh say... 2 years ago. Really I can't believe all of what everyone is saying. In the cases that their products were professionally installed or at least by someone that had a clue what they were doing they appeared to hold together for over a year and still have no problems. So if anybody with person experience ONLY post that would be helpful. Anyway as most of you are probably aware of they are selling twin turbo kits on ebay for $800 starting bid. If they do use garret internals like they claim (at least for the GT28's listed) would this be a decent purchase? If I had the money I'd go with different turbo's but i don't. Even if the turbo's do blow, it is still cheaper to buy 2 new garret turbos and put them on the existing set up, then to buy a kit from a more respectable company.

2. 4-71/z-28

i have personally used 2 wastegates, and 3 turbos from them, no complaints, im sure theyre not precision quialinty but they arent $1200. next turbo setup i do, ill be using the same parts.. one turbo i bought from them is on its third car. theyre not still around because 8 out of 10 people were dissatisfied. the complaints they get are from people who dont take into consideration the fact that it cost 1/3 of the price of a namebrand...its not as shiny as the HKS so it must be a piece of crap! now customer service i have no idea about, because i have never had a problem. just my opinion:the same one ive been preaching since the beginning.

3. 86lxnotch

i have a w/g and a intercooler from them, no complaints

BUT MY FRIEND {i did all the work } bought a civic turbo kit from them and it worked great except for the manifold cracking, he also had a 96 talon tsi {again i did the work} that he got a manifold and super t70{60.5mm} and i ended up rewelding the whole manifold, then the turbo took a total shit with about 800 miles on it at most, we replaced it with a 57 trim t3 from them later to sell the car and after one week of driving it the seals were shot

so in conclusion from my personal experience i don't mind the stuff they sell as long as its not a turbo or manifold

4. Cld12pk2go

I got a 3.5lb wastegate spring from them.

No problems.

5. Cld12pk2go

6. duckman

Your experience is the same as almost everybody else i know. Manifold and turbos are crap. The thing to make the manifold better is it needs some bracing. All though there new turbo manifold for the hondas look nice. But i would assume they need to be brace also. Turbos are at your own risk. Intercoolers, bov's and wastegates i hardly read going bad or seen go bad.

7. 86lxnotch

exactly duckman!!!! the only turbo i have seen from them that wasn't junk was the one i put on his honda, that turbo worked fine with no issues. it was just the 2 i put on his talon that were junk

8. md924541

Why was the turbo "junk" what came apart? what happened?

9. 86lxnotch

the .57 trim turbo the seals went out on that one.
    the "super" t70 the seals and bearings went out on that one, im pretty sure the balance was out of wack.

10. md924541

You can fix that for $40 with the garrett rebuild kit everything fits in that super t-70. how bad did the seals leak more thna the normal turbo seepage I take it? the seal which realy isnt a seal its called a piston ring on the turbine end is the one that leaks on thoes you can get the gapless one wich is better than the garrett one for $20 to your door. if thoes are the only problems poeple have with these you can buy the garrett kit and the good piston ring and some company's will ballance the shaft for free when you buy the kit from them you would have $300 wrapped up in the turbo and its just as good as a name brand turbo that you would spend two to three times that amount for.

11. 86lxnotch

eh wasnt my money so i didnt care haha, he said "i'll just get a new one" so that what he did. i told him to get a decent one to start with but you know some people just don't listen

12. md924541

Yea lol I know how that goes, I have a lot of people I try to help with their project and they dont listen. I have been that person too but that how you learn about things trial and error.

13. 86lxnotch

i know, he is finally starting to listen to me, he had a honda s2k recently and he wanted exhuast i told him to get invidia which is high end he wanted cans welded on and i said no, he got the invidia lol, he also wanted coilovers for it again i said no get some nice springs like teins, well he listened, now he got a 01 lightning and the motor had an incident and i got him to get stg 3 patriots stg 2 crower cams, headers, and all this other stuff i told him to and hge did what i said, hell i probably coulda had him build a 8 sec daily driver and he woulda lol

14. 96mustang460cid

I have an SSAutochrome header on my car. Overall, I'm happy. It's not the nicest, but I was able to make everything work without too much hassle.

have a good day!
    Michael

15. GreyLX

I have the super power T70, intercooler and the 50mm wastegate. No problems with any of them, but the car is only track use.

16. turbostang

I just found this thread in a search, but which headers to you have? The "twin" turbo kit? Stainless I assume?

17. 96mustang460cid

No, I have an SSAutochrome header on my 2.3 turbo Mustang.

Have a good day!
    Michael

18. turbostang

How old is it? still workin' out?

19. 96mustang460cid

It's about 6 months old and working fine.

DD w/ ~22 psi

Have a good day!
    Michael

20. turbostang

Cool! I was just wanted to hear from someone that actually used thier parts as opposed to speculation that seems to run rampant on the 'net! Got any current pics?