1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Incon Wastegate Actuator alternative?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 93PONY, Dec 6, 2006.

1. 93PONY

Found these 'high pressure' actuators for $59 each.
    Ment for 18psi. Think they'll work with an Incon kit?

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...OD&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-022&Category_Code=WGT

Seems like a good company. Called them yesterday & ordered up the correct oil restrictors for the Garratt GT BB series turbos. The ones the Incon kit comes with look as if they're for the 'T' series turbos & have too large of an oil oriface. I've been having oil consumption problems ever since I did the new motor & had the turbos 'freshened up'. Sent the turbos back & they found nothing wrong, but went through them again. Told me it was either a drain back problem, or the turbos were getting too much oil. The oil restrictors that came with my Incon kit are not small.... I was told BB turbos don't need a lot of oil & the restrictors I ordered that are for GT BB turbos have an oriface of .035"....FAR smaller than what is currently on there.

Anyway, they have other hard to find parts for the GT BB turbos & I found these actuators. Think I should give them a try? $59 compared to $150 for the adjustable ones....

2. mystang

why do you not just run a boost controller might make it a little bit easier

3. 93PONY

Thought about it...
    Don't really like the 'look' of MBC's that I've seen. Not really clean looking if they're seen in the engine bay. I'm trying to keep things as near stock looking as possible....
    Thought about an electronic controller. Don't know where I'd put it in the interior....again, I like keeping it as clean as possible. Just the bare neccessities.

I've fought hard to hid things like the 2-step activation, transbrake, shiftlight (no tach), etc. All those controlers & buttons really make a mess of things IMO & make it so there's too many things to do when all I want to do is drive the car (or launch it).

The PMS & wideband are temperary...but other than that it's a pretty clean interior... I'd like to keep it that way. Even the Auto shifter I disguised....it looks like it's still got a manual.

Same with the engine. I'd like to keep it as stock & clean looking as possible.

My modo for things has always been: 'Keep it simple Stupid!'

4. mystang

well my friend has a greddy profec b on his 88 rx7 and mounted it in his glove box, because i dont think you are going to be messing with it alot more set it and forget it.

5. 93PONY

Thought about that too... I've mounted things like BAP & BAS in the gloveboxes of customers cars. Seems to work out okay. That boost controller is $300-$400? Can't decide whether I will want the adjustablility or not. With the tuning software I have, lower/raising the boost would require 2 different tunes (fuel curves mainly). I don't know if I'd really ever use the adjustability of an electronic boost controller. Although I don't know how long I'm going to be running the PMS....I'd really like a FAST setup.

I've also been curious on how long the stock Actuators will last. Heard some say that the heat & not having the rod perfectly straight will eventually blow a seal.