1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

4" Coldside To big?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by eades5.0, Oct 1, 2006.

1. eades5.0

4" Coldside To big?

331 H/C/I
    MP T70 .96
    1 3/4 headers
    31x12x4 IC 3" in/out

Talking with SCT they say running a 3" coldside (original plan) would only let the BA2800 support 550rw, BUT if I ran a 4" coldside from IC to TB the meter could support 800hp in a blow thru config

I am torn as it seems my turbo is a lil small for this size coldside, and also worry about lag.
    Now I know some have made 1000rw on 3" and thats not my question, i know power can be made on 3"....but I dont want to buy another meter if this one I have can support the power
    I am just worried about it being to big and will hurt performance/spool

My builder and tuner both think it is to large and want to do 3.5" max

Any input

Chris

2. eades5.0

Re: 4" Coldside To big?

Also

The meter is 90mm/4"

3. Lucafu1

subsribing :2thumbs:

4. Brent Davis

Don't listen to that BS. I just can't understand why they claim that only 550 rwhp would be the net power with using 3" piping from the cooler to the t-body. Let alone how hard it would be to get 4" piping in there like that. There's a ton of guys that have made well over 800 RWHP with 3" pipes and even more power. I'd use the 3" for starters and make a decision "IF" you have to.

Good luck.

5. rl-

The air meter will peg earlier in the smaller ID piping, THATS why they say that.

You will not see anything negative from running 4" tubing from the intercooler to throttle body.

Rob

6. Brent Davis

from what the poster said, they said that anything less than 4", it won't support more than 550 rwhp. Maybe they did mention the meter issue but the poster didn't. I've been outta the EFI game for a while but who makes a meter that is 4" in/out besides the old pro-m 77mm/83mm and larger meters?

7. eades5.0

Brent
    The post is about the meter and what it can support based on coldside pipe size (Srry I thought I was clear)

The meter is a SCTBA2800 and is infact a true 4" all the way thru

If I run 3" coldside SCT claims the meter can only do 550rw before pegging in a blow thru config
    If I run 4" coldside SCT claims the meter cand do 800rw

I plan to be well over 550

8. 89coupe

My intercooler pipning is only 2.5" and I'm making 600rwhp with no issues. :noidea:

9. eades5.0

For the 3rd time guys...thats not the issue

ITs the MAF...it can only support XX hp on 3"...on 4" it can support 250-300hp more since the meter is 4"

I am thinking of buying a maf tube that is 3" and installing my electronics in that

The transistions is what kills this meter

Like I said in the 1st post...I planed on 3" and I know 3" can make plenty hp....but my meter is the issue, I dont want it peggin early

Chris

10. Lucafu1

you can make 1000hp in a 2.5" pipe with the right stuff, thats not the point.

hes asking will a 4" pipe hurt his performance in anyway with a t70? will it cause any lag or maybe hesitation?
    the sct MAF is a 90mm maf. so that means its calibrated to 90mm. you can scale it down to a 3" but that would cause the maf to peg early cause it thinks more air is flowing thru it then there really is.

my opinion is that a 4" is fine. the only problem i see will be maybe alittle loss in low end tq, thats just my guess. a 331 pushng a t70 is gonna spool so fast that i dont think it will be much of a problem. just looking for some more ideas, cause there is always osmething new to learn ;)

11. bentvalve

i have 4" on my set up with a 90mm tb, but i don't think i will really have to worry about loosing to much power because of the igloo and my cold side maybe around 2 1/2 3 ft. well i will let you know soon when its done at b&g!!! don russell :D

12. boosted393

You really need to run 4'' with that meter. I'm in the same boat. I did have 3'' piping from the intercooler to the TB with 3'' to 4'' reducers behind and in front of the 4'' 90mm BA2800 maf this is a big problem.

It will cause drive ability problems and peg very easy around 550rwhp. I have only added 10'' of 4'' pipe before the meter and this has made the drive ability problems go away. But I still have the 3'' after the meter and with 8psi of boost (450rwhp) the meter is at 860 maf counts it pegs at some were near 1200 counts. I will be changing my setup to all 4'' next year.

13. eades5.0

Thats the kinda reply I need
    Thx a ton

Anyone else

Also Luca hit the nail on the head....what would 4" hurt me on...that is the real question
    Wether its needed or not, what downfalls would it cause

Chris

14. eades5.0

TTT

15. eades5.0

On top of the meter not supporting power (800 is way more than i'd need)
    SCT says the biggest prob with anything under 4" would be driveability

16. eades5.0

maybe get a 3" pmas protube and run 3" cold

they claim the meter can do 1000hp

lol

17. TwinTurboStrokr

4" cold side is not going to effect driveability, boost response, or transition.

It'll work fine.

18. eades5.0

thx

19. Eric88T

I wouldn't go 4" man. Have you ever held a piece of 4" tubing? Its fucking heavy...not to mention expensive.

Just find a 3.5" univer or similar meter and use 1/2" transition couplers w/3" tubing like everyone else. Don't reinvent the wheel on this.

20. WaterPog

4" aluminum is nice and light ;)