1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I'm Happy. Custom Diamonds,Rings, & Rods.

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by Prochargedmopar, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Prochargedmopar

Just placed an order for some Diamond forged pistons built with a huge dish and 360 degree quench pads to match Magnum cylinder heads. Come with tool steel pins too. Also got some Total seal rings and CHEVY 6.25" Rods on the way. All for $1165. Compression is suppose to spec out to 8.7:1 after I deck the block. I will also have to cut down the rod throws of my 360 crank to 2.100" The pistons are suppose to be 300gm lighter than the factory stock cast pistons.

For the ford guys.......Yesterday I picked up a 390 with 10:1 compression and a torquer cam from citymotorsupply in Richland hills. (for my 73 ford F100) It was only $685 after taxes and the cam upgrade. They even let me trade in a 360 for the 390. Cool!!!!!

2. Wallace

Who did you order your pistons from? What was the price on the pistons only? Were they off the shelf or a custom deal? Sorry for all of the questions but need a set of pistons myself. Thanks.

3. Prochargedmopar

Getting them from www.sd-concepts.com
    He does alot of blown mopars and had some custom built to match the magnum chambers.
    It's my understanding they will work with the factory magnums, Edlelbrocks new magnums, the mopar magnum RT's, and the mopar commando heads.
    He's the guy that has the 1500hp challenger with a factory 383 block.
    Pistons and pins are $625.

4. feets

I have to keep telling myself NO to something similar.

Ya see, I've got this little itch to stroke my spare 440. I've spoken to Ross and they can build a low compression piston with a quench pad to match the E-heads.
    I'd like a 500 inch twin turbo motor.

5. turbododge

Which ring is the gapless on the Total Seal set you bought? Seems to be a point of question right now, between a lot of folks.

6. Prochargedmopar

I called up wanting the gapless top ring set because of what I'd heard about ring flutter/pressure buildup between top and middle packs. here are some things Scott said:

At my rpm it's a non issue.
    He expressed concern about the durability of the rings in a blown engine. Compression rings will seal if the gaps are right and bores are round/finished properly.
    Most important aspect is the increased vacuum to help pull the charge into the chamber by the gapless 2nd ring pack.

I also asked him about piston squirters and reverse flow cooling.
    He seemed to express that squirtes were for the racer looking for that last 10 or so HP. With the proper piston/chamber setup and control of the charge temp it's not needed for a street car. (or at least my street car which can't make over 550-600hp with the small blower and heads I'm using)

He said reverse flow cooling IS Worth the Effort if you've got the money and time to set up all the piping, fittings, ect.......

Water Flow Summary: block pump to block with plugs, 2 1" lines from the pump with each being y-blocked so you have water fed to both ends of the heads, maintain heater core lines as a purge, Return line from core plug in bottom of block, T-stat setup from there to feed the radiator.

I mentioned the big block guys having it easy because of the indy reverse flow setup. He said it's not really reverse flow. It just changes the direction through the block and doesn't feed into the heads where it should. Minimizing steam pockets was his biggest concern.

This stuff is not quoted just a general overview of what I was able to pick up in a short conversation as close as I could recall. I may be twisted.

:cool:

Feets, How much power you looking to make?????

7. millerman340

Those are just the pistons I'm look for to use magnum r/t heads.