1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Big time boost NOOB....any help??

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by stacks2.5, May 11, 2015.

1. stacks2.5

Hey guys, new here so be gentle for this time around! Been lurking around here for a while now slowly planning my next build. Only issue is I've always been an NA guy and never had the chance to play with boost. Because of that I basically know nothing on building a turbo setup and getting it to work on my own. Here's the run down on what I've got in my head and what I have so far.

Recently picked up a beautiful 1974 Dodge Adventurer Club Cab Shortbox. Originally 360 3 speed column shift. I wanted to stick with a small block so I picked up a bone stock low mileage 360 magnum out of a 97 1/2 ton Ram and a 650 Holley DP that I'm planning on doing the hanger18 mod for blow thru. Unfortunately thats where I sit for now unless someone knows of a money tree growing somewhere!

Here's the master plan:
    Looking to put boost to a bone stock long block with a single Chinese GT45 69.9mm turbo on as much of a budget as possible. I know there are alot of nay-sayers on the ebay turbo but its something I've always wanted to give a whirl and apparently alot of guys are having good luck with them according to a couple of threads on here.
    This truck will be mostly street driven but make a couple of track trips a year. But I don't care if its not totally street friendly, beings I'll be putting a mini spool in it anyways.
    I've seen a couple of guys squeazing 500+BHP on a basically stock 360 mag. but I would be tickled pink to see some where around 450 to the crank pushing 8-10 psi. I'll be using a Holley Blue fuel pump but still haven't decided what reg yet.

And this leads to the main dilemma. I have NO f***ing clue what I need otherwise as far as specific sizing and brands of parts.

-All that I have been seeing is that I have to get a custom grind cam because there isn't much for shelf stock grinds that work well.
    -No clue what I should be looking to run as far as brands and sizing for BOV or wastegates
    -Anyone use any specific headers (flipped or not) for a front mount cross-over build?
    -I see that a guy basically only has 2 choices for intakes, either an Edelbrock air-gap or a Chinese sourced air-gap style. I was thinking about going with the China intake beings its $100 cheaper but wondering if anyone has ran them and if they did or didn't like them.
    -Still not sure what I will have to run for a distributor and ignition system beings the magnum runs off of a crank sensor but I've heard a stock dist. off a earlier model 360 LA will drop right in.
    -I will be running an aftermarket TC but not sure what I should have for a stall for running boost.

I'm sure I will come up with more questions as I go along but I figured I can work up a decent price list if I knew these things. Thanks in advance for the help! Excited to get into the boost world finally, and excited to learn a few things from guys that actually know what they're talking about!:excitement:

2. sr47

There's a Plymouth Savoy on here. Punch up that car and look at what he did. Car runs 9s on e85, ,nothing exotic.

3. sr47

Main thing is is that all the answers are here, but you need to dig in. Garrett Turbo has a program to do the math and match the turbo or turbos.

4. stacks2.5

Awesome, thanks guys! I know the principles and how everything works just not real sure on what to get to make it work correctly

5. Rickracer

Forget the Holley Blue pump, NOT NEARLY ENOUGH PUMP. I'd look at their Billet Dominator pumps.

6. stacks2.5

How much does the dominator flow?

7. Rickracer

8. Mnlx

The Holley pumps are nice, but just as another option the 255 lph inlines, or intank should do everything you need, and save you a few dollars. Where are you in Mn?

9. stacks2.5

Ya im only planning running 450-500 hp at the crank. And I'm just east of Grand Rapids.

10. Mnlx

North Branch area here. Good to see more Minnesotans here.

11. stacks2.5

No kidding! You make it up to any shows up north?

12. Mnlx

I dont get to many shows, but do get up north occasionally.

13. 67satellite

Run the stock cam.It'll be fine at those power levels.

14. dodge turbo

run a walbro gsl 392 its a 255 pump and plenty for what you need
    its only $115 too

no need for a high dollar billet dominator pump lol

15. jaquetapus

I like the project! Agree on the Walbro pump, like $100 on eBay, and is supposedly compatible with e85 in case you switch down the road.

16. sr47

Ok, gotta ask, what have you done to the Astro van to get it to wheelie like that? Now THAT is impressive :), nice and even, no twist.

17. jaquetapus

Lol, I like to mess with people and tell them it's an SBC on two kits, but it's a fraud. We took out the front shocks. It does make for cool still shots though.

[video]https://youtu.be/IiBKExN7TbI[/video]

-dave

18. sr47

Well Happy Friday to me! :)

You could still do the sbc and 2 kits and make it legit!

Nothing worse than getting beat by something like that.

19. stacks2.5

Tell ya what, I definitely was not expecting that response! haha

20. loadedmind

That van is hilarious!