1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

ignition system help/suggestions

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by daturbosix, Jan 17, 2010.

1. daturbosix

i have a 3400lb GN with a 358" SBC with a S480 on it and XFI.

what kind of box and coil combo should i go with?

2. daturbosix

nothing huh?! ...

3. turbolxcoupe

4. fiebre68

Put the best MSD ignition you can afford, A 7531 will be the best and you can program everything and dont have to buy anything else, but If that was mine I will put nothing less than a 7al 2 they are cheap used and hot enough to burn the mixture at higher boost levels. Use the big square red coil for the 7series boxes. The 6al will work but you will have issues at higher boost levels. Use msd products they are good, tech support is good and most important everyone has it!! so if you ever have problems just swap it with one of your friends and find the problem. No BS here, take it from the guy that spend the money and try them all!! Good luck.

5. Andy Dorsett

Get a set of LS truck coils off ebay, an EPM unit from AEM and the XIM unit from FAST and do COP. The cost will be lower and the performance will be higher than a 7al, distributor and coil.

6. daturbosix

i was thinking about the digital 7 box, but i dont think i would need the data logging that the digi 7 provides due to me already having the XFI.

i wasnt aware that there was a converter box avalible for the LS1 coils... i know BS3 does that. ill have to look further into the COP setup for XFI.

thanks for your input.