1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Which 440 intake manifold would you choose?

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by GonnaBeTurbo, Apr 29, 2009.

1. GonnaBeTurbo

I've got a 440 I'm building to boost 8lbs on. Right now I've been running it with an Edelbrock CH4B intake and a Holley 650 double pumper. Should I change to a higher flowing intake/carb? I only rev to 5500. A few years ago I tried an Edelbrock RPM intake and a 750cfm carb and it didn't feel any faster to me, maybe because I don't rev high enough to take advantage of the flow.

But now that I am going to be boosting it, will the extra flow of a superior intake help me lower in the rpm range when in boost? When you are n/a you only need as much flow as you are going to rev for, but how does this work when you add boost into the system?

2. Anthony Fury

Everything you do to increase a motor's VE in a particular RPM range should help, turbo or not.

Blow thru? (If so, then the answer to your question is: the intake with the best distribution) Feel free to use the findings of people like CW25, Dodge Turbo, etc, for answers.

What heads?

What turbo(s)?

How heavy?

How fast you wanna go, son?

3. GonnaBeTurbo

Blow thru carb, heads flow 256/178 @ .500 valve lift which is where my cam is, 3800lb car and looking to do bottom 12's or better in the 1/4 mile. Boost is comming from a Paxton SN2000 centrifugal s/c with a HO impellor. A guy I know ran 12.0 with this s/c with a stock impellor, 6lb pulley instead of a 8lb pulley, 440 w/ worse flowing heads but 1.0:1 more compression than me and a Performer RPM intake w/ a 750DP.

I take it these guys did some intake manifold testing?? Any tips on what I should search for, a quick search didn't bring up much of interest.

4. Anthony Fury

5. furious70

you should have seen a pickup with the rpm perf over the 'chubby' with those heads and cam for sure! I chose the rpm perf for my 383 based on all I read and talked to others. A tm7 is never a bad choice either

6. CW25

I ran 14ish lbs on pumpgas with a low compression 383. The RPM was a much better manifold down low. It made a noticable difference. Couldn't tell much difference up high. This was from the M1 single plane. I went back to the single plane manifold when I went EFI but may still go back to the RPM. I have to get the new engine back on its feet again to decide.

7. moparnut666

it would be a lot of work but i have seen it done to a 440 with 12 psi boost

the six pack over 1300 cfm wide open

8. Anthony Fury

You can make 2,000 HP with a 750 though....

9. GonnaBeTurbo

Anyone ever try a big block holley street dominator with boost? I know for n/a it's a good intake, not quite as good in the bottom as a RPM but a lot more hood clearance friendly.

10. furious70

That's the intake I would have converted to efi for my project, but my experience was on the 383 it had terrible bottom end. Depending on your turbo sizing that may or not matter.
    Great B block NA test of intakes here:
    http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_0712_mopar_intake_manifold_comparo/index.html
    I ended up converting both and rpm perf and a tm6 based on the artcile and my personal experience running the tm6 and the SD. starting with the rpm perf.