1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Ignition Choices

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by -Freak-, Jun 9, 2009.

1. -Freak-

Been reading a few different threads and it looks like my original idea of using a MSD 6BTM is going out the window.
    According to a few people the diaphram that controls the boost curve has a tendency to go bad...

I would like to not run locked because I will be doing a lot of daily driving with my Dart.
    Well actuall from what I understand I will lock the distrib and let one of the digital boxes pull timing.

Ive been looking at the Mallory Hyfire 685 and the MSD 6AL-2.
    Looks like I will need a MAP sensor for either one.

What ignition do you guys run?

How much of a pain in the ass is it to tune in one of these digital boxes?

2. rharveysr

This is something that also need to know...

Thanks
    rick

3. Matt Cramer

If anything, digital ignitions can be easier to tune than old school advance mechanisms. Just turn a knob or punch in a few numbers and see the results instantly.

I'm running a rather complex setup myself - right now I have a Lean Burn distributor connected to a HEI module that's wired to a MegaSquirt V2.2 and then firing the coil through a MSD 6A box, with the MegaSquirt controlling the timing. And I'm going to go crank triggered soon. A bit overkill on a carbed car, but if you're using EFI it would probably be best to have the engine management control the timing.

4. CW25

Haha Matt that is the same way I thought of doing mine. I think I will just put in the high current driver and use it to fire the MSD.

5. Matt Cramer

Yeah, that's the way I would have gone if the V3.0 was available when I started.

Although I'm planning to do a pretty crazy ignition shoot out once I get the engine up and running. EDIS vs MSD 6A vs some other interesting stuff...

6. mondtster

That is what I was going to suggest too...

I just got done reconfiguring my MS that way. The current plan is to run my 440 with a carb and the MS controlling the ignition. When I get more money I'll inject the thing too.