1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Does anyone have any experience with SDS EFI ?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by mitchwolos, Mar 23, 2010.

1. mitchwolos

I'm going to be getting my car running soon. I need to get a startup map for my SDS injection.

It's a 308ci with 96lb injectors, and a street solid roller.

It's a stick car aswell. How does standalone do with idle and a cam?

2. TurboLou

I use the SDS to run my 4.6 modular so I can't help you with a base tune. Have you tried calling Western Motorsports for a base tune? I spent a lot of time on the phone with their tech guy Shanon (Shannon?). He was very helpful; I'm sure he can help you out. The car idles OK despite the lack of an idle air control device but I run the stock cams.

3. 96Tangg

I know this is old but Turbolou, you still usu=ing the SDS? How do you like it?
    I am thinking of going to it.
    Dave

4. TurboLou

Still running it. The SDS has worked out OK for the way I use the car (not a daily driver but street/strip weekend warrior). It could be described as an EFI solution somewhere between a good carburetor and the more expensive standalone brands. Here is a list of functionality the SDS lacks that I think would improve the system for a daily driver:

1. peak & hold injector drivers (low impedance injectors require external driver)
    2. idle air control (stock IAC valve is opened only during warm up as 'fast warm up' and A/C load)
    3. spark timing advance/retard vs. Intake Air Temp table
    4. injector pulse adder vs. battery voltage table (injector response time changes as battery voltage fluctuates with electrical load changes)

I do like the fact it can be programmed on the fly with a small hand-held controller rather than a clunky laptop.

5. BlackMagic94

I had one, and it absolutely sucks dick when you use big low imp injectors. I ran it on 42s and it ran 11s first time out of the gate and drove all over the street, then i swapped to 72s and I could never get it to idle at a constant AFR. It works great to that point then it sucks.

6. TurboLou

Did you use an external P&H injector driver or their load resistors when you switched to the low Z injectors?

7. Torqueboxer247

Im rocking the sds on my car which is running 60lb high imped inj. Motor is 10/1, 351w with vic jr heads, tfs-r intake, small solid roller 248/256 .618/.621 112lsa. Idles good keeps a steady afr at 1000rpm. My friend is putting his superlow comp dart 306 together 7.8to1 comp, vic jrs, efi spider, small hyd roller cam, hellion 78mm turbo kit, hes running hi impedence 80s and even with NO compression it idles nice. He did just have a little motor trouble last week when the boost went to 30+psi and lifted a head gasket...dynoed 670 on 7cyl. Plug wire wasnt connected...oops.

8. Centrifuge

I ran sds on my 2.8 V6, stock, NA, worked great for what i was using it for, if it works as it is sold with the functions it has, its good, if not, seems it would be very difficult ot upgrade. wish you could hook to laptop