1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

'89 Truck

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by dodgestrike, Sep 27, 2014.

1. dodgestrike

I've been reading a lot in this forum so here it goes, I'm starting this build up. the truck started its life as a slant-six/low gear 4speed truck the body has some dings and the paint its fading but I like it that way , the cab is rust free and doesn't have any filler on it so that's good.

The plan:

360ci stock '92 bottom end
    308 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves
    crower 227/237 @ .050
    Holley strip dominator
    CSU 750 carb
    MSD6AL with BTM for timing controll
    walbro fuel pump with aeromotive regulator

summit magnum shorty headers 2.5" crossover for the hotside
    Garret GT4718R
    x02 60mm WG and 50mm BOV
    And the biggest ebay intercooler I can fit in the truck

727 trans with A&A transbrake , CRT billet steel front drum , front 5 steel planetary set, 4.2 lever and CRT ultimate sprag
    Dana 44 3.23 gears with a spartan locker

adjustable ranchos on the rear with caltrac-ish bars

well that's the plan... let's see what actually happens

the truck as it is right now, a decent driver.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Interior

[​IMG]#ad

2. Smart Turbo

Nice truck

3. 99TTGT

done, as requested...

4. M&M Turbochargers

5. dodgestrike

Thanks man

6. afterfire

Cool old truck, looking forward to progress pics.

7. De-Marko

Nice truck, I Like how the shifter was mounted.

8. dodgestrike

Thanks it's really confortable the way it is I just need to reinforce the floor pan because it has the hole from the 4sped and it bends if you push the shifter hard, It should have the reupholstered seat this weekend since the old one was rotten from all the years under the sun.

Thought I'd share some of the truck history it sat in the same place for 15 or so years it actually has only 80,000km on it, most of the body damage was done while sitting there and the sun it even has some scuffs from a tree rubbing the driver's side front fender

[​IMG]#ad

the interior as it was after a clean up

[​IMG]#ad

here's the reason it sat for so long

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

it's lowered now with the leafs under the rear axle and cut front springs , going to pick up van LCA wich have deep sping pockets to lower ir the right way on the front this weekend.

9. Turbo-Box

Cool build. I always liked that style of Dodge truck. They don't get any love.

10. dodgestrike

Thanks, Got a new seat ! big hp gains there...

[​IMG]#ad

went up to pick up the D60 rear end but the truck that had it was sent to scrap so I'll have to wait another week to get one , it's a stock dodge D60 that came in the 92-96 ramchargers so it will bolt on in place of the D44 that's in there right now I can't remember if they're 35 or 30 splines axles but it does have 3.55 gears and limited-slip differential.

I'm also undecided on the blow thru 360 right now , I have a '05 5.7 HEMI block and heads that I want to build once I have the turbo stuff figured out but I would have to spend on another hot side/cold side and not to mention I would have no use for a blow thru carb and the electronics for the blow thru ( I want to go efi on the HEMI )

11. dodgestrike

So i´m picking this up soon, going to make it run with the stock computer and a drivebywire pedal and try to tune it with hptuners.

[​IMG]#ad

12. Twin Turbo Skylark

13. dodgestrike

Well the 6.4 was parted out before I got to it and the block was bad apparently , so I'm going to be using the '05 5.7 Block I already have for a 392 stroker, the added torque should be nice in the truck, also planning on ditching the 727 for a A-518 it'd be nice to have OD, the plan is to build the A-518 using what the diesel guys use on them to hold up I mean if they can make it hold up to 1000ft of torque or more on those heavy crew/quad cabs it should be good for mine.

[​IMG]#ad

I do have a new rear end , it's a Dana 60 out from a '94 Ramcharger , means 35 spline axles and this one has an open carrier and 3.73 gears, my brother has a RC with the same rear end with 3.55 gears so I'm thinking trading gears for those and using a detroit locker on mine.

14. Twin Turbo Skylark

Nice work, should be a blast!!

Take pics of the engine build as you go!

15. dodgestrike

Thanks Man, I really like your car , not everyday you see a built buick ,here's the block I'll be using as foundation for the build.

I would like to have a complete 5.7 to swap and use as a "grenade" engine but they're not as cheap as LS on yunkyards and I already have this block and heads because I took them of my '05 RCSB ram , the oil pump said goodbye at high speed in the highway and that was it for the engine instead of rebuilding it I bought a longblock from a yunkyard and saved this for the '89.

I'm still debating if I should use the 5.7 castings and invest money on them or just go for the '08 Up eagle heads.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

You can see some slime or something on the heads and the oil sump was the same, that's what screwed the oil pump I guess the previous owner was the oil additive type of guy

16. glhs0426

Which engine/transmission are you going with now? The 5.7/727, 5.7/518, 360/727, 360/518?

17. dodgestrike

Well current status is 360 / 727 / D44 , plans are 5.7(392) / A518 / D60

18. glhs0426

Why don't you pressurize the 360?

19. Xpress

Don't believe I've ever seen under a valve cover look quite that bad.
    Nice old truck, looking forward to seeing it progress.

20. dodgestrike

Just following the logic of using a LS instead of a SBC , stock head castings are better, parts are somewhat the same cost if you look at the same brands ( pistons,rods,etc ) Going EFI either way so I just want a better platform and I already have the block laying around.