1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Project Joe Dirt: 86 Monte Carlo SS, LSx 5.3, T70, Megasquirt II

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by PaulF, Nov 19, 2012.

1. PaulF

I have posted this a couple of other places so if it looks familiar you will know why! A HUGE amount of inspiration for this build comes from Denmah. His threads are just so much fun and so cool. Thanks for the info and the help through your PM's Denmah!

I haven't had a turbo car in quite a while now and I have had the itch for a bit so I decided it was time for a new project.

I found a very low mile unmolested 86 Monte SS local to me and I snatched it up for only $2600, it is stock down the factory radio! The only rust on the car is a small spot in the passenger floor about the size of a quarter and some surface rust around the drivers rear wheel well. The car is hot as hell in my opinion. Since the day I sold my 86 Regal (13 years ago!) I have missed it. And now I have a very worthy replacement for my long gone G Body!

[​IMG]#ad

Craigslist turned up another local good buy. A 1999 5.3 from a truck, complete with a 4L80E, computer, exhaust manifolds, wiring harness, and some other parts and pieces.

[​IMG]#ad

It came with these Dirty Dingo motor mounts. They are pretty cool, not sure if I will use them yet or not. They do seem pretty easy though.

[​IMG]#ad

I even got an engine stand in the deal. So here is the engine sitting on the stand. For what I paid I made out like a bandit considering how much extra crap I got with it.

[​IMG]#ad

Supposedly this motor only has 90,000 miles on it. Considering how clean it is internally I would buy that.

[​IMG]#ad

Master Power T70 with a .68 exhaust housing. This thing should spool instantly. I know it will be a choke point but I don't care. My goal is a max of 500 RWHP and this motor and turbo combo should get there with ease.

[​IMG]#ad

Megasquirt II V3.0 unassembled.

[​IMG]#ad

All put together and on the stim. Working just like it should.

[​IMG]#ad

MSII and the relay board before I started construction of the DB37 cable. It seems like very few people use the relay board. For the few dollars it costs it just seems like huge bargain and time saver to me!

[​IMG]#ad

DB37 connector to tie the MS and relay board together. This should all be tucked under the dash when I am done.

[​IMG]#ad

2. PaulF

One of my favorite parts of this whole project. I am using an aircraft cannon plug to do the wiring harness passthrough on the firewall. This piece took a lot of research and time get just what I needed. I am in the avionics field so that helps a lot. If you aren't familiar with this type of plug it is pretty much all that is used in the aircraft world for electrical connections. I have had this idea in my head for several years and now it is happening. Should be pretty cool.

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the plug assembled, on the left is the side that will be in the engine bay with all the engine connections on it. On the right is the flange that will bolt to the firewall and have all the MS connections on it. It will make for a very easy wiring disconnect for when the engine has to come out.

[​IMG]#ad

Some motor work. Monster LS9 cam going in.

[​IMG]#ad

PAC 1218 valve springs going on.

[​IMG]#ad

Fuel system parts. Bosch 044 pump, plus some really cool rail adapter fittings, and some other goodies.

[​IMG]#ad

And while I know this is FI 101 and not needed on a site like this here is a diagram I made.

[​IMG]#ad

Head gaskets designed for the mighty LS9 being used on my heap. This is a NICE head gasket.

[​IMG]#ad

MSII all wired up with ignition outputs and power inputs. This is all on a piece of sheetmetal now and looks pretty nice in my opinion.

[​IMG]#ad

Injector pigtails I made up. All the wiring is done like this. I really enjoy doing wiring harnesses.

[​IMG]#ad

That is it picture wise for now. I have more to show I just haven't taken any photos. The harness is done and looks really good. Although since I built it I guess I am biased. More to come, I promise. Be patient. Here in Maine the weather is about to go to shit and that always take my enthusiasm for a project away. But I will do my best to stay on top of this!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  3. 87gn@tahoe

Looking great so far!

Where do you get those aircraft/military type electrical connectors?

4. Terminator-Fox

This is gonna be good!

5. MONTEGOD7SS

Between the firearms and G-Bodys, you just couldn't get any cooler. Excellent choice on car by the way. What are the plans for the driveline? The 7 5/8" rearend will have to go, are you going 8.5", 12-bolt, or 9"? Your wiring is the antithesis of Denmah, lol, but I can definitely see his influence on the LS9 cam, MS, and 044 pump.

6. M&M Turbochargers

looking good!!! if you need a bigger exhaust housing let me know

7. dts300z

Cool Build! Can't wait to see the finished product.

8. BlownShovel

One of my fav cars of all time. Subscribing

9. TWNWHR

This will be pretty cool. I like your attention to detail already.
    What fittings are you using on the fuel rails if you dont mind me asking?
    And what advantage is the MegaSquirt relay panel giving you?

Keep at it! - Jesse

10. mcssed

Sounds like you really got a great deal. I should have kept my 85 SS Monte. Looks like a cool build.....I'll be following your build.

11. 1hcam

If you dont mind me asking, how much $ do you have in the motor? Including springs, gaskets, and cam. Do you plan to run the truck intake?

12. 85mcss

Fantastic!! Great minds think alike when it comes to fun rides! (see sig) :encouragement:

Love the Aerospace connectors and, yes, Denmah is the man in this junkyard we call a foum!

A few questions from my end... Dont feel obligated to answer them if you havent planned that part yet, though..

1. What are you planning on using to control your 80E?
    2. How do you plan to set up a speedometer?
    3. Did you re-gap the piston rings? If so, what to?
    4. Whats your take on the ground clearance in the Monte with the truck pan?

Subscribed for updates!!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  13. TDmkr496

Amazing build!!!

14. PaulF

Well shoot. I didn't expect this much interest. I am kind of flattered haha!

I sourced this one from http://www.digikey.com But there are so many different styles is it enough to make your head spin. That website lists over 120,000 different part numbers for circular connectors which is the generic name for cannon plugs. And that is only the connector, you then need to figure out pins and backshells! They are also pretty expensive. The connector pictured here cost about $125.00

Haha, well I don't know how cool I am but I sure appreciate the compliment! I am actually thinking I will go with a 9", although an 8.5" would probably be the easiest. I figure it won't be too much of a problem until I have some tires on the care that actually hook up. And even though my wiring might be neater than Denmahs his speed of work puts mine to shame. He would have this thing done, blown up, repaired, and making even more HP in the time that I have been working on it! And admittedly I did totally rip off his LS9 cam, Megasquirt, and Bosch pump, but damn do those items work for him. The only difference is that I am using the MSII to control both fuel and spark. Well hopefully anyway, we will see how that goes!

Thanks man! This is going to sound like a stupid question but don't I need a bigger wheel to go with the housing?

One of my favorites too. I can remember seeing them on the dealers lots when they were new and thinking they were an awesome looking car. And now I have one. :grin:

Thanks for the compliments! The rail fittings are Russell pieces. They are two piece units that push onto the rail and then have another piece that threads in to clamp them in place so no chance of a line popping off. They are really nice. Parts numbers are 644120 and 644110. The MS relay board is just a nice neat central point to power everything to and it is fused. I think the kit is $68 and it really is good quality stuff. I love them. I used one on my last MS project and was very happy with it.

Motor and trans with all the goodies was $900, springs were $150, head gaskets were $100, head bolts were $42, and the cam was $100. So just shy of $1300 in the engine and trans. I am planning on running the truck intake as long as it fits under the hood. Right now I think it might, but I won't know until the motor is in. I am trying to avoid buying an LS6 intake. They are bringing a lot of money right now!

Great minds do indeed think alike. My C6 is an 07 and also has a Corsa exhaust. Best sounding V8 exhaust note I have ever heard to be honest. The crackling on WOT shifts and high RPM decel is just SICK!

Answers to your questions:

1. I think I am going with a US Shift controller. I am kind of tempted to go with a MegaShift but it just doesn't have the forum support that the MS does!
    2. Not even a clue on speed-o yet. I may go with aftermarket gauges or maybe a GPS speedometer? Hell I gotta get this thing running first!
    3. I left the ring gap alone. I am not planning to go boost crazy so I think I will be okay. Famous last words............
    4. I am quite sure the truck pan will sit too low. But GM makes a swap pan that should tuck the sump up above the crossmember and it doesn't cost a whole heck of a lot.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  15. Kory 88Iroc Lt1

Subscribing. Nice job. this should turn out great. How hard was the megasquirt to build? I've been thinking of building and using one in my next build.
    Looking forward to updates.
    Kory

16. denmah

awesome i cant wait to see the rest of this build.

17. TDmkr496

What size injectors are you going to use??

18. nj636

subscribed :popcorn:

19. 89notchback

Nice, looking forward to seeing how this build turns out. subscribed

20. BlownShovel

Where are you located?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012