1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Identify this cam, good for turbo 5.3?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by JungleJim, Jan 13, 2019.

1. JungleJim

A motorsports shop near my house closed down and had a garage sale. I ended up buying a bench of stuff, including a few dozen camshafts. There were about twenty LS came, but only 4-5 are undamaged, including two stock 5.3 cams, one LS1 cam(the smaller one) and this aftermarket cam that I haven't been able to ID, despite spending much time on Google looking at pics. I've seen similar markings on Texas Speed cams, but nothing identical. Anyone know what this is? Also, is there any use for LS cams with garfed lobes? Like do cam manufacturers use them for reduced-base-circle regrinds or anything like that. The hillbilly down the road said he'll take em for scrap, but he's not paying anything...Jim

IMG_20190113_125821914.jpg #ad

2. TurboComet

I'm probably not much help, but I can tell you that any regrind involves removing at least .050-inch from the base circle in order to successfully alter the lobe profile. That being said, there is absolutely zero demand for reground LS camshafts, especially considering the abundance of good OEM camshafts that are available for stock builds, as well as the abundance of new cores for aftermarket grinds. Those damaged cams are really only good for scrap value.

3. JungleJim

TC, I appreciate the reply. I've already given Hillbilly a bunch of the worst cams, so I guess he's got a few more coming his way. Maybe I can at least purchase myself some goodwill down the road.
    As for the cam in the pic, I guess I'll try to set up some v-blocks, bust out the degree wheel and dial indicator, and see if I can figure the duration and lift. Lotta work, but I kinda wanna know what it is.

4. TurboComet

You could always send the mystery camshaft to someone with a Cam Doctor and have it profiled. Most of the big name cam grinders offer this service, as well as some of the smaller companies, too.

5. Bad Medicine Racing

There actually are a few companies that will regrind LS cams. If they are good cores. The damaged cores are likely trash. I saw a guy on Facebook the other day saying he could regrind a stock cam to the SS2 specs for $100. Not sure how legit that was, but it know bullet reground a LQ9 cam for us a few years back. I don't remember the specs, but it worked nice and is still in an engine running today.

6. JungleJim

Thanks for the replies. I wish I could find someone with a can doctor that didn't want $100+ dollars to spec mine out. I've found very few people even offering the service. I'll probably try to do it myself. Might not get exact, but hopefully close enough that I'll know if it's too big. Jim