1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I want to put a compound turbo kit on my 1993 Ford F-250 with a mildly built Ford 460c.i. engine.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by D.W. Bostwick, Sep 11, 2018.

1. D.W. Bostwick

I need help figuring out what turbo/turbos I need and I need help in figuring out the set up. I want a build somewhere between mild and bad a$#. I have a brand new 460 with less than 3k miles on it. Internally it has a stage 1 comp cam and heavier valve springs in the heads. It has a complete Banks powepack from front to back...basically no restrictive air flow at all. Also I have a 3 core aluminum radiator to keep things really cool. I have huge BBK 2 in one throttle bodies (60-75mm I think) and an aluminum throttle body spacer. The intake is highly free flowing, banks says its ram induction. The exhaust is comprised of long tube banks headers and 3" pipe from collector back, no cat and a high flow aggressive muffler.
    I want a turbo set up, nothing extravagant, but big enough to wake her up and move even under load. I think variable compound turbo kit is what I'm looking for but not positive. It is a pre obd2 truck but I think with help it can be done.

2. B E N

You don't want a compound set up, those are for very high pressure levels and you wont need much with a big block. There are several current 460 builds on this subforum right now, read through them and see what you like or dont.

What you really need to share is power goals and what you want use the truck for, details are good.

Was this engine built with stock type internals? What type of pistons? I ask because I've blown up 3 of these motors, they have some week points, part of my problem was tuning, part was cast pistons. How much power do you want and how long do you expect the engine to last. If you have an OBDI system on that truck it runs a pretty primitive batch fire speed density EFI system and your going to have a tough time with it. You will need some sort of tuning system.

MCA likes this.
  3. BBR

The stock Ford speed density EFI will be the problem. The computer is not configured to handle positive intake pressures so that leaves you with changing to a different efi system or using an FMU. They can be made to work sorta, but they just always seemed like a crutch to me. Additionally, the stock fuel system is woefully inadequate (tiny lines and small injectors) for any sort of elevated power level.

My best advice from reading your post is to skip the turbo idea and build a nice ~10:1 460 using older style heads, either ported stock or aftermarket, (460 efi heads are very different from the older ones and are not supported by the aftermarket at all), a carb style intake (like a Performer RPM) , a properly spec'd cam and maybe FITech in place of a carb. Then, if you absolutely HAVE to have boost, buy something like a Torqstorm supercharger, and bolt it on blowing thru the FITech.

Bottom line is: even with tuning hardware/software like a Tweecer, the stock efi system is going to fight you every step of the way. My 73 F100 has a 1996 efi 460 and e4od transmission. When planning my build, I really wanted to retain the factory efi I already have installed in the truck, but anyway I looked at it, it was just going to be a pain in the ass. More trounle to work around than just ditching it and going with something else.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    captaingriffin likes this.
  4. D.W. Bostwick

It sounds like I may be at an impass, and just increasing my compression ratios and a possible bore of .030-.060 thousandths, or even getting it stroked might be the best way to go about increasing power until I can afford a diesel. Does that sound about right? What about chips? Are they helpful?

5. D.W. Bostwick

The truck is meant for hauling trailers, heavy loads, and just fun in mountains and sand.

6. BBR

7. B E N

Here is a good chart of what you need to make a certain power level
    https://www.460ford.com/forum/40-en...3-460-horsepower-chart-revised-1-24-09-a.html
    Here are a few more build descriptions
    http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/knowgoodenginebuilds6.html

The 460 can be a potent animal, they just aren't great the way ford set them up from the factory in the 90's. For the truck you describe: aftermarket EFI, a good set of aluminum heads, intake/exhaust manifold and cam package could make a beastly, reliable setup that would kick the hell out of most diesels and probably break everything else in your power train. Doing the H/C/I package would allow you to keep the speed parts you already have (except maybe the cam, i don't know what the specs are on yours), and you likely wouldn't need to tear into your freshly rebuilt engine.

8. D.W. Bostwick

I probably would look into doing aluminum heads first. The cam I would leave for a while until I have more money to put a more aggressive one in, and have time and want to tear into it. The intake is the tricky bit, there aren't any aftermarket throttle body intakes- I looked everywhere- it is a 2 part intake, the upper intake- where the throttle body attaches to, and the lower- which is what the throttle body and upper intake attach to. I guess the best route would be to get aluminum heads installed and port and polish the intake at the same time, which the intake is aluminum to start with. Then maybe a stage 2 cam.
    I'm not too worried about breaking my down stream drive train elements. I have replaced the stock rear end with a full-floating 1 ton limited-slip dana 80 already, I can just upgrade the axles and ring and pinion gears when needed. And I have already found an upgraded transmission and transfercase when they decide to go. I'm also going to do a dana 60 solid axle front end swap in place of the weaker ttb dana 50, all in due time though. It cost a lot to get it this far.
    However, I already am putting out more torque and H.P. than a stock 7.3 diesel of the same era, but they were both close stock off the showroom floor to begin with. I think my trans is next go though, it's stock and underrated for my currant torque output.
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll stick to natural aspiration.