1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I want to mount my shifter in the ashtray hole.

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by rick90lx, Mar 31, 2008.

1. rick90lx

I've seen a few setups like that and yesterday I sat in a guys car who is running a quarter stick with the pistol grip. He said he tried to mount his in the ashtray, but because of the throw of the shifter being so long, you cant really hold on to it down in 3rd gear because of the angle it puts your wrist in. He said you physically cant hold on to the shifter. I hope this is making sense. Anyway, I got to thinking about running a ball type handle instead, this wouldn't fix the throw of the shifter, but would let me place my hand over the ball on the 2-3, but with the transbrake button being in the knob I don't want to accidentally engage it on the 2-3 shift.
    So now I'm wondering if buying a ratchet type shifter would be best for that kind of placement. I've never driven a car with a ratchet, but in my mind it sounds like it would fix the throw problems. Any thoughts?

2. Blown347hatch

I run the B&M Pro-Ratchet in the ash tray position. I'd say go for it.

3. Gen1SVE

I just got rid of my ratchet shifter due to inconsistencies and my new pro stick is mounted in the stock t-5 location (my brother made the hole in the tunnel a little larger to mount the pro ratchet). I will never use a ratchet shifter again. The pro stick is positive and consistant.

4. ricky

i ran the pro stick years ago in my 1991 , it was mounted in the ash tray and i cut out the tray cover to make just the stick and the reverse lever stick thru..looked great..lol,i thought i was the only one who thought of that idea back then..i liked it cause i could rest my arm on the center arm rest,and reach the lever easily. :2thumbs:

5. rick90lx

Have you had any problems with your ratchet? My buddy runs the hammer with his c4 and has never had a problem.

6. Bellman Jeff

If you want to run your shifter where the ashtry use to be.. When you fabricate a mounting base for the shifter, you should set the base at an angle that makes getting all the gears comfortable.. Instead of just level and flat...

Center console.JPG #ad

7. James Bell

It's not a B&M but it's in the ashtray spot

[​IMG]#ad

8. fordwrench

Thats a cheetah shifter....you can mount anything anywhere with a BFH,and a Heat Wrench! :welder:

Fordwrench

9. rick90lx

How about yours Jeff, do you have any problems when putting it in high gear? I'm assuming you have a rev/man vb.
    I had thought about having the handle cut and angled forward slightly to fix that issue, but the release lever would interfere with the new handle position. I could look into mounting it tilted forward slightly, It had crossed my mind, but I thought a ratchet might work better in this application. I only know of 1 guy using a ratchet whereas everyone else uses this style. :huh:

10. James Bell

Yes Sir!! :2thumbs:

11. Drlee50

I didnt like the shifter placement in the ashtray hole. too far back. it sucks to cut up your shit, but in the name of safety and ergonomics, i had to move it up a bit farther.

shifter.jpg #ad

shifter 2.jpg #ad

12. James Bell

13. Bellman Jeff

No I don't have any problems getting high gear.. Even with my new funny car cage.. When you're strapped in tight with a 5 point harness, you have a tuff time reaching a shifter that's set to far forward.. The ashtray hole puts it right within easy reach..

I know a guy that has one of those ratchet shifters.. And it looks like he's ripping off powershifts with a manual transmission, when going thru the gears.. They are pretty cool..

14. wazslow

I agree. Hurst quarter stick with pistol grip in the old ashtry here. Works well!