1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I want to build my first turbo car, ( i read the newb stuff)

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by sleepercoupe, Apr 2, 2007.

1. sleepercoupe

Ok, first of this is my current combo 79 coupe, 351w, gt-40p's, truck crank/rods, performer intake, 750 holley, holley blue pump, msd6al, 5-speed, 8.8 4.10's, cam i believe is .544 lift cant remember duration or over lap. i am wanting to do a single turbo setup and piece the kit together, i am looking for around 450-500 with 10psi or so if it makes less hp with 10psi than no biggie. from what i understood a T64 will work for this? Are those the stock turbos on the older 84-85 turbo fords? i am going to get some scraps or order a bunch of piping, get the turbo from a parts car and i also have a cartech hat from a junkyard as well (i believe the intake was 2 3/4 too small?). i understand 3 inch exhaust would be fine and a straight through muffler would be necessary. i understand the mods to the carb i will have to do and will read a read-up on that tonight. i will continue browsing through the search articles i find and appreciate any help i get thanks in advance! also would a tubular k-member/arms help a lot with room or is it just a luxury?

2. sleepercoupe

also here is a picture of my car for fun. its an original 2.3 turbo car i have done all the work to it personally and owned an 84 gt turbo at one point, wanting to play around with a v8 car.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

thats the engine bay i will be workin with

3. mfpmax

You don't want a turbo...they make you go fast, bring a big smile on your face, and get you chicks.

And no, a T64 isn't stock on the Turbo 2.3s. Those are 60 trim T3s.
    A K-member won't be required on a Fox, but it'd make things nice depending on how you run piping. Have you checked out the Builds forum yet?

4. flyinhillbilly

x2, that's where i learned about turbos, i just started reading the build threads, and applied the information that i thought would best work with what i was trying to do, i've done 2 turbo builds so far and i feel like i stood on the shoulders of giants with the head start this site gave me. your car looks good, and i bet it'll scream once you get it done. i'm using an s400 on my stock 350 chevy right now, and it will melt the tires on the dragstrip in 2nd at a 40mph roll, it seems to be sized about right on the hotside to spool up pretty quick on a 350 ci engine, and could make enough power to break pretty much anything if i turned the boost up past 10psi, i got mine from dave@majestic on this board, $560 to my door in 3 days brand new.

5. sleepercoupe

been browsin the build forums! lots of good stuff in there! going to read through the faq and info again and i will have some questions! here are a few,

1. Is the driver or passenger side better or preference? its going to be a blow through carb.
    2. Internal wastegate or external?
    3. Build headers or modify some shorties? Price difference? Mine has a 351w would it be better to build them or can i just mod some shorties?
    4. more to come!

6. sleepercoupe

More...

1. Fuel system? What type of psi do i want? regulator? etc etc a lot of guys didnt talk about thier fuel system in the builds section
    2. Piping, what size should i use? hot and cold, v-band clamps? i want to go cheap but not POS cheap, should i get them? would i need flanges to make them work?
    3. Vacuum, where does it go and what needs it and why?

7. frey_gt

8. ddv005

Flipped Shorties single.jpg #ad

9. ddv005

10. sleepercoupe

thanks for the help, i will send some emails. i am doing a budget build by that i mean $1000 or so, is this realistic for what i am wanting? i will spend money on the fuel system, i dont want it running out of fuel and going lean. i read about the larger return on the fuel and reasoning. if i was going to buy a new turbo and wastegate what would you reccomend for this hp number psi? 500hp @ 10 psi, i believe the car currently makes around 350.

11. ddv005

It's gonna be REAL tough on that budget for a NEW turbo AND piping/vbands/connectors and Fuel system. if that is an absolute number, go with a used Turbo like a HX40 if you could find one for cheap. You could get a NEW turbo for around $500.00 for a 60-1 or a little more for a T70. That still leaves, intercooler, Blow off valve, etc....

12. sleepercoupe

13. sleepercoupe

ok, gotcha, JY/ebay turbo it is. for the wastegate is there anything special i should be looking for? or just something that is adjustable from say 5-15 psi

14. ddv005

Any way you would consider twins? It may actually be cheap to go with twins. If you go with twins you could do this

1- Boost reference your mechanical pump - $10 in fittings and hoses
    2- Get a pair of Garrett/Air-research (Tbird Turbos) with .60/.63 A/R with built in wastegate - $100-$300
    3- Get a Bosh Bov off ebay - $ 20.00
    4- XXL Intercooler of ebay $117.00 shipped
    5- Stock style shorties- $ 20.00
    6- Piping- get as much junk stuff as you can find specially bends that has ball joint fittings and order the rest from Darren - $100.00
    7- Get a good A/F ratio meter like innovative LM-1 - $300.00

Build it, tune it and don't get hung up on a power number. You will have SOOOOO much fun when you start to FEEL the boost

PM me if you need help picking out/inspecting a used turbo

Lastly, i know alot of veterans on here flame guys for not searching but the truth is that there is SO MOUCH info on this site and SOOOOO many people that know their shit, that there is a wealth of info to be had by spending some time doing research.

15. ddv005

16. sleepercoupe

i thought about but figured the cost of two would be much higher, the bosch bov, which one am i lookin for? if i went twins, would two early ford t3/t4's be sufficient? piping with ball joint fittings? i dont understand what you mean. there is a TON of info here i have been browsing for a while. just takes a while to get a question answered.

17. sleepercoupe

also, for the fuel side of things, instead of boost referencing a pump, would upgrading to a FI mustang gas tank and 255lph pump work just as well? i can get one of those basically for free.

18. ddv005

Take your time. Just PM me or e-mail me and i will try to help as i can :2thumbs:

19. ddv005

No, on the contrary. Get a few systems and look up referencing a mechanical pump. You basically have to drill a hole on the side and run a hose to the manifold. I got his from a previous documnet i downloaded.

On the side of the pump where I put the tube, there is already a hole--the atmospheric vent--to equalize pressure. I just sanded up the tube a bit for the epoxy to stick, beat it in the hole using a punch (that also flared the end for me nicely) and then jb-welded it in for good measure. I already had the tube so idk what size it's sold as but I'm pretty sure it was 1/4".

:edit: I sanded both the tube and pump a bit to prep it for the jb weld...if you don't do this it won't stick. The tube is about 1/2" into the pump and it wasn't going to move even without the epoxy, after epoxying I pulled on it pretty hard and it didn't budge, only way it's coming out now is a drill.

20. turbofreek

i read you have a holley blue pump? sell it you cant use it for boost.
    a good mechanical like ddv005 is saying can be referenced up to a certain point. its not 100% accurate to do but can work sometimes.
    your going to need a carb hat. csu ot ev(extreme velosity) will do.

buying a good turbo to begin with is always better than buying two junkers for the same price.

big fuel ines are giong to be needed as well to get the volume you need at low fuel presures. so a stock fuel lines not going to cut it.

since your going carb your going to need a wideband with recordable data. so you can go back through it to see where and how its running under wot. a normal one you would have to watch and its not easy or safe to watch a guage under wot boost conditions.

to start you better make sure your engine/drivetrain is 110% up to the task. if not you'll know as soon as you put some extra air into it. ;)