1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I picked up a Holset HE351 today, got some questions.

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by windchime88, Jun 20, 2008.

1. windchime88

This thing has got some wierd electronic plug/ECU thing on the side of it, what the hell is it? Also, I tried searching, and found a few threads on this thing, and as far as i can tell it's fairly similar to a HE/HY35. If i end up using it it will be going on a 9:1 347, vic. jr heads, megasquirt, and most likely a TFS1 cam. I've got a comp XE282 cam in it right now but i know it's too choppy for the turbo, and i'd like to have some better drivability when i'm done. Will this thing work worth half a crap? i only plan on making about 7psi

Anyhow, can anyone identify what this big box is for?

2. Explorer5.0

how are you going to control the variable vanes?

3. windchime88

The who? :huh: You obviously know more about this thing than i do. can you elaborate for me?

4. windchime88

Alright, i took the thing by the local diesel turbo shop today to have their take on it. they had a 6.0 powerchoke variable vane turbo torn apart there, so i got to see the internal workings of it. Basically looks like a solenoid or a motor that controls the vanes, i'd have to take the plate off mine to see if it's the same as the Ford, but couldn't you theoretically rig up a motor or solenoid to control the vanes, according to boost? seems like it would work in theory, but as previously stated.. getting it controlled would be the biggest hurdle. Then again, i could probably wire the thing in a fixed position too. :scratch:

5. Turbo_Baer

its off a new emissions motor, 2007 and up. dont bother using it. buy a new turbo and sell that one. you'll have more time and money in your rig then it will ever be worth for that thing.

6. 65ShelbyClone

Not to mention that a single HE351 is far too small for a 347. Even two would be too small on the turbine side(for the non-VGT HEs and HYs).

It's an interesting unit, that's for sure, but the hard part really is controlling the vanes. If it had a boost-actuated vane assembly like some Garretts I've seen, then it could be used outside of the original application more easily. Since it isn't, it probably has a stepper motor that needs a controller and more electronics to get it to respond to boost.

BTW, the Powerstroke Garretts have a hydraulic vane actuator that uses engine oil pressure and the ECU for control.

7. Turbo_Baer

just buy that 76 gtsh in the classifieds for $1000. make all the power you could want :2thumbs: ............ for now :cool3:

8. windchime88

Hard part is doing that on a budget of less than zero. :bang:

If i was to buy a new turbo, i'd probably go with a MP T70.. they're cheap, and looks like they'll support what i'm looking to do.