1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Singed plug wires...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Hellrot, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Hellrot

I noticed I had a couple light burn marks on two of my passenger side plug wires. The burns were on the side of the wires facing the turbine housing and downpipe. Is it feasible that there is enough heat being generated from the turbo to start burning the wires even though they are several inches away? I already have the stupid looking "Plug Wire Tube Socks" over the boots, but I figured the wires themselves would be ok. Maybe not?

The burns appeared to be just on the surface of the wires, but the car didn't seem to idle and rev quite as smooth. Hopefully they aren't fried considering they're about 2 weeks old. What do you guys recommend as far as plug wires, or heat wrap? I hate the look of the "socks". Is there anything tasteful looking that I should consider??

2. papis408w

what's wrong w/ the "socks"? as long as they work there should be no problem

3. TURBOMAGNUM

I am using MSD Self Vulcanizing Tape on my wires, about 10 inches of wire is covered from the boots up. I havnt had any probs.
    My GT42 melts the cheap plastic wire covering off of the firewall at about 10-12 inches away!

4. Hellrot

Other than the fact I don't care for how they look in the engine compartment, they only cover the boots, and about 5 inches up the wire.

Hmmm, Self Vulcanizing Tape....sounds cool. Might have to look into it. Did you order it from Summit or someplace comparable? Were you having problems melting wires before using the tape?

5. Eric88T

Couple wraps of generic heat wrap material and DEI 2000* booties over that and you should be G2G. Dman on here has these at good prices.

Distance from the heat sources is good but if there is no air flow, radiant heat will kill it just as quick.

6. TURBOMAGNUM

yes I ordered it from summit
    yes I burnt wires before the tape, I bought new wires and didnt want to burn em so I ordered the tape along with it.
    there are alot of different ways you can go with heat protection, but I am a cheap bastard so I went with the tape, and it has done its job.

7. il_wolf_li

8. Hellrot

Very interesting wolf, but it appears they're not in production yet?

9. il_wolf_li

They are currently in production, the owner/founder is currently sitting behind me, lol. He has quite a few currently with a big order being received here soon.

Just send him a quick email!

Brian

10. Hellrot

lol...how much are they?

11. il_wolf_li

$25/each