1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

timing lock question?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 89gtturbo, Aug 1, 2008.

1. 89gtturbo

ok im pretty sure i got the idea of what setup im gonna go w/ on my fuel now comes to timing, ive heard a few guys tell me about timing locks? i know you can either put it on a switch or a boost sensor which i wanna put it on a boost sensor b/c i couldnt see flippin a switch everytime you get into boost, you guys have any luck with timing locks??? also anyone know a company that sells boost sensors of any sort . any kinda of help would be apprieciated thanks Ryan

2. 89gtturbo

or do you think i would be better running a digital 7 msd box, i have a 6al but i dont know how good it will work any ideas??? :huh:

3. flynbrian

;) Ummm... Locked timing is usually a mechanical thing. I mean I guess it can be done with fancy boxes that have swithes on them but from my history for what I know locking the timing consists mainly of taking the distributor apart and removing the centrifugal advance and welding the shaft solid or putting in a bolt to prevent movement.
    I removed my distributor and welded mine up so it cant be changed ever again...No loss its just a stock HEI. I also removed the vacumn pot and welded the actuator rod to the baseplate so it cant change with vacumn advance either....But I realized that was stupid since for there to be vacumn there wouldnt be any boost and more timing would be fine.

But fortunately for me the backplate is just held on with two screws...So I can put a vacumn advance back on it.

I only know the mechanical way....My experience with electronics is none more than putting the 6AL on my Firebird along with a Pro-Billet distributor....I dont know about other goodies that could be used.

4. bgjohnson

Timing lock for a mustang is. Set your base timing at 16--2* degress and and leave the SPOUT connector out. You can do a timing retard with boost reference, which MSD sells a unit that will do that.

5. stangboy86

yes i think it is the btm unit that has the boost reference. they are around 400 bucks new. my buddy years ago modified a vac advance dizzy to operate both ways. when the throttle plate was closed, it would have vacuum and advance timing, when you open the throttle plate and create boost, the diaphram inside the dizzy would move the other way and retard the timing. worked good for him on his 2.3 draw through turbo pinto. i was thinking about trying this on my turbo mustang blow through project. flyinbrian what do you think about this?

6. flynbrian

I guess its do-able...I have a adjustable vacumn pot on order for my car...I dont know what the degree range is yet but you adjust it with a tiny allen wrench.

I suppose you could set your base timing with a old school distributor with a vacumn pot....Set it for your medium timing number...So at idle the timing will advance for economy and idle quality and smell (less unburnt fuel) then have your electronic box that pulls timing out of it with a hobb swith or RPM activated deal...I only really know the mechanical way.

I suppose there is electronics out there that will do everything but wipe your tail-end....But I also know they aint cheap.

I am limiting my car to a vacumn advance and locked out centrifugal...I am running 22 degree's total plus the 5-6-7-8 degree's the vacumn will allow at idle...But I got a old Chevy.

7. 89gtturbo

thanks for the input guys, yea i have the website that sells the timeing lock you wire it into you harness where it plugs into your distrubotor but you have to by a boost sensor too and put it into your intake somewhere i guess alteast i have had a few guys tell me this im not 100% sure but here is the website for ppl interested in maybe goin this way www.xpinnovation.com if any one else out there ever used this and had good bad luck let me know thank you Ryan

8. EricHughes

Our website address is: http://www.xpinnovation.net. There are a number of guys on here running the TimingLock... you might do a little searching and see what feedback you can find.

There is a boost pressure switch on eBay that I've used a few times. You can find it by searching for "boost pressure switch." The seller is "Be Cooling" and he sells them for around $12.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

9. dug

not to totally rob this thread but what would happen if you had a regular HEI distributor hooked up, no electronice devices and the dist. not locked out what would happen? I have a friend who is turboing his straight 6 and he plans on just running the distributor how it was when it was N/A, bad idea?

10. flynbrian

You'll have some fried pistons I beleive....Its a very simple job to lock out the timing. If your friend sets his timing low enough to run safe it wont idle very well and the economy will be horrible and it wont make any power unless it wound up tite at max centrifugal timing.

He can leave the vacum advance part alone....leave it hooked up since it only works during idle and low speed non-boost situations....It'll clean up the idle and get better mileage....

The Mechanical advance weights need removed. Then you can tack weld the inner & outer shaft to stop any movement. Whala....Locked out....I did mine in 20 minutes.

If your HEI is worth its weight in gold then drill a hole through each side and put a high grade bolt and nut on each side to lock it down...so you can remove the bolts later and return it to stock.

Its so simple it would be stupid not to do on any JY set-up.

11. dug

ok thanks for the reply. I'll let him know.