1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I know I am new but I just installed a Hellion, car won't start, NEED HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 91Trunkster, Mar 30, 2006.

1. 91Trunkster

Just finished installing a Hellion on a 1991 LX.

The car started and idled rough, it started at least 4 more times, it did start to smooth out a bit.

Now the car will not start at all, it does turn over. :bang:

Timing was at 13* when I started the kit, FP is at 36psi, 42lb injectors, C&L MAF.

I am just stumped to why it wouldn't start after it did start a minute earlier.

Plugs are Autolite 24's gapped at 35* w/ MSD 6AL

Car ran for about 2 minutes all together

2. Lincs 84 351

Re: I know I am new but I just installed a Hellion, car won't start, NEED HELP!

Was it running rich (black smoke) or lean (popping)

Pulled the plugs?

Umm...got gas in tank? (don't laugh, it happens)

3. Unatural

Try holding the pedal all the way to the floor and then starting it up. It will put the computer into flood clear and won't give it much gas. If that doesn't work, I'd go ahead and pull some plugs like Linc said. Also, it's probably not going to want to idle very well at 13* with the spout out until it gets warmed up a little, so be prepared to sit there and feather the throttle some. Either that, or turn the idle screw in a few turns so it will hold the idle up higher. If you do have the spout out though, don't be afraid to put it in right now, just to get the car going. As long as you're not in boost, it will be fine.

4. 91Trunkster

couldn't tell on the smoke, it was probably more popping, i'll pull the plugs in a little bit and try the other things

5. Lincs 84 351

Re: I know I am new but I just installed a Hellion, car won't start, NEED HELP!

if that's the case try raising fuel pressure.

ONE THING ABOUT c&l i HAVE EXPERIENCED IS THEY hate BEING RUN WITH NO AIR FILTER ON THEM. (damn caps lock!)

6. Unatural

Linc, the meter that comes with the kit is a blow through and is mounted in the PS fender on the way up to the TB. My friend EJ and I have had a bunch of problems with his car not wanting to run smooth too, so this morning we replaced the wires and when I first started it up, it was running decent, but when I took it for a drive it started running like crap. As soon as it kicked out of warmup mode and started using the meter to regulate everything, it started with a REALLY bad surging idle and basically just ran like crap. I got it back to his house and disconnected the mass air, the idle totally smoothed out. I plugged it back in, and it started surging real bad again. We're going to try clocking the meter some more to try to smooth out the idle, but thats another thing you can try.

7. msydnor

I can't remember where I read this, but on the hellion kit, supposedly If the MAF is not clocked properly it will run like crap. Call hellion, I've heard they are very helpful.

8. daveh8tesimports

A guy i know just installed a hellion kit on his car and had trouble getting his to stay running too. He found out that some of his connections were loose. So maybe just check anything that has recently been tampered with.

9. daveh8tesimports

In fact it might have been his maf too, not sure, call hellion

10. 91Trunkster

I went outside this morning and it fired right up, :D

It idles pretty smooth, went to the muffler shop to tweak the bassani catback, took forever driving 20mph in 3rd, didn't wanna boost.

All is well, I think it was the fresh air plugs on the back of the heads, one was leaking possibly screwing with my 02's, that's my best guess.

It is running rich, FP is at 40 with vaccum off and timing at 10*, I am going to get a tune tomorrow, I just have to drive 70 miles in traffic which will suck but I should be OK.

The car sounds a hell off a lot different than before, it idles fine, maybe I can hear the cam more and no more H-Pipe, I'll just have to wait till tomorrow to see.

Thanks for all the help fellas, I really appreciate it, I gotta put the boost gauge in right now, I'll put up some pics in a little while.

11. nmcgrawj

Keep us updated. Im extremely interested to hear how the bassani catback sounds!

12. 91Trunkster

I guess that means I'll need to make a video. :2thumbs:

13. flashbang756

True dat!! :2thumbs:

14. BlackMagic94

Plug the MAF back in? Do you have fuel? Did you reconnect the spark plug wires correctly?

15. 91Trunkster

Here are some photos of the finished product. I think I am going to have to tune this thing the hard way, I couldn't dyno tune it due to some issues with the DATA LOG, timing fluctated like crazy and a/f was way off, I am pretty stumped right now, waiting for Hellion to call me back, car runs and idles fine, haven't hit boost yet though any suggestions?

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. Unatural

So are you running 10* of timing and then plugging the spout back in, or leaving it out? Try locking it at 20* and leaving the spout out and see how it does then. Before I switched to the Megasquirt, I ran my car like that for about 6 months with no problems at all.

17. E.J.

Not that your car and mine are exactly the same....but even before I had my wideband on the car, the only tuning I did to the car was 20* timing locked, 38# fp, and that's it. I had it in boost a million times and nothing happened. Though the car drove like carp until it was WOT! You can certainly drive the car in 4th and 5th gear....do you have a boost gauge on the car...if not, get one ASAP. Just because the BOV is letting out some air, doesn't mean you are in boost. I get some air from the BOV even in vac. (but very close to entering boost).

Do yourself a favor....get some brake check valves. They are in the HELP section at the auto parts store ($6 each). Need two of them. One goes to the va. line tree on the driver's side firewall and the other on the PCV valve on the back of the motor.

Sorry to de-rail a little...but what did you use to relocate your PS pump to where the A.C. compressor was? I have been thinking of doing the same.

18. 91Trunkster

call summit it is the ford motorsport kit, also what are the check valves for?

so you say 20* of timing, unplug the spout, and 38 psi of fuel pressure.

19. Unatural

The check valves are so you don't push a lot of pressure into the rest of your system, like your brake booster. You put them in so they will pull vacuum into the intake, but not let the boost get out of the intake and into the vacuum tree you have on the firewall, and also one between the intake and the PCV valve, just for added protection. If you don't have on between the intake and vacuum tree, it's very easy to blow the vacuum hose off of the power brake booster and lose your power brakes. Just ask EJ. ;)

Yes and yes about the timing and FP. Just make sure you take the spout out BEFORE you set the timing, and then leave it out. Like I said, I ran my car like that for a while, driving it every day, and it worked fine.

20. 91Trunkster

Well I set my timing at 23* total, fuel pressure at 32 psi vacuum off and ran it, it idles fine and runs great. I have my boost gauge hooked to the vacuum tree, wouldn't the check valves make it give false readings. I wonder why the kit didn't come with them if they were needed?