1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What Cam? F303? For 1000HP

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 14chp2c, Feb 27, 2010.

1. 14chp2c

Well I am upgrading my Turbo, Precision T76, and my motor, R-Block 327, billet internals, zero balance, Twisted Wedge ported by TEA, Spyder intake, and F.A.ST., I was wondering if the F303 cam will hold me back to get to 1000HP or should I get a custom grind? Also will the F303 limit me to RPMs, running 28" Slicks, 3:55 gears and a C4?

2. yellowpony

Man, all the money you have in that motor, don't go off the shelf. Although the f cam has taken guys to 1k hp, don't sell yourself short and go off the shelf. Call a custom grinder with a good reputation and get one from them. I have a Bennett racing shootout series in mine and love it, but there are other people out there. Do a search on here for other guys people have used, and go with who you feel comfortable with. Do what you want, but custom is the only way to fly with your setup IMO, 1,000 hp is nothing to sneeze at.

Anthony

3. Turbo_Baer

id go custom grind... i dont think your c4 will like the 1k mark

1k motor-> :nut: <- c4

4. 14chp2c

Well, I have one of those 1000HP Dynamic Mite Mike C4, when I first built the Coupe I wasnt planning on going 8s, so I thought the C4 was fine for me, otherwise I would have got a Glide. There is a local guy with the same transmission with 100+ passes on it, running 9.0s @ 153MPH with no problems.

5. Turbo_Baer

sweet. im scared of my c4 this year.... took it apart and its not so god looking but i am rebuilding it so we'll see.

i am going to give bullet cams a call and see what they can do for my setup.

6. slowfox

It may not be optimal but Brent Davis made well over 1k hp with his F cam.

7. Brent Davis

Sure did and all these big fancy custom cams couldn't run 170 MPH that I did either. This was in a REAL 302 cubic inch motor as well, no 331, no 347, just a plain 302 with a custom built 88mm from Dave. I'd say that at the motor, I had to be making at least 1300 with almost 1200 at the tires. Good luck with your cam choice either way you go.

[​IMG]#ad

8. brianj5600

It is odd that HP/TQ crosses above 5600. I have never seen them cross anywhere besides 5252rpm.

9. Brent Davis

This is a dyno chart when I had the 74mm turbo on it and at 27 psi of boost. The ONLY difference between the 1177 RWHP and this 888 RWHP charts are the turbo swaps only. The 88mm just walks all over the 74mm once it gets up in the RPM's.

[​IMG]#ad

10. 302tt

The torque axis on the right does not start at zero - that's why they don't cross at the usual 5252 rpm point.

11. 14chp2c

This why I had to ask about the F303, seems to work, also 93PONY, a local guy for me, makes 660RWHP with a F303. Shit I made 531RWHP & 534 RWTQ with a Stock cam, T70, 306 and a C4. I almost thought on putting a stock cam to see what it would do, SEEMS like the Turbo takes over, makes the power not the cam, but what do I know. But I do know of a 7 second Turbo XXXXX, secret cant say, but the tuner of this CAR told me that he advances cam to make all the power in the lower end, after he makes the 106mm turbo do all the work, greatly increasing the boost. I would have loved to see that dyno sheet, to see actually how that works for them. I retarded my stock cam to raise my power band, with my small turbo, seemed to work for me. BUT again what do I know, I am just learning. I see that Brent Davis's Dyno sheet makes REALLY nice numbers but would a higher power band be better or you tune around it with less gear? Or I just totally wrong in my understanding about reading a dyno sheet? This is why I asked about a higher power band, I am running a C4 so I really want to get the most out of the power without going with less gear, or am I really not going to see a difference since I am running a roller cam setup and roller lifters are only going to let me shift so high?

12. Brent Davis

Q

man the F-303 works pretty good for an off-shelf piece BUT I have wondered sometimes what a custom piece would have done but then too, it was a total handful with what I had so what was the point in taking the F-303 out.

You do have a point that the stock cam is a great piece too. I made 523 RWHP and 586 RWTQ with a stock cam in a stock 302 engine. I took the stock cam out and put an E-303 in and made 602 RWHP and 740 RWTQ and with both cams, my power was all in by 5000 RPM and made nothing more after that RPM.

I got a new R302 block, TFS high ports and an F-303 with my 74mm Precision turbo and made 770 RWHP 836 RWTQ on a stopped pull. I was going lean on the AFR so I had to come off the rollers to get that issue taken care of. I went back after fixing the fuel problem and it made 888 RWHP and 917 RWTQ. Added the 88mm and it went to 1177 RWHP then and at the track with my car breaking loose on the top end, it went [email protected] MPH :nuts: :lh:

Of course you asked and it is your choice but if you don't wanna be doing alot of engine maintenance, keep the RPM's under 6500 and it'll live. The only thing that I didn't keep was the stock lifters. I bought the Comp lift bar hydraulic roller lifters and they worked and lasted alot longer than the stock ones did.

13. 14chp2c

Well, you are making me think hard about a F303 cam, I also have the Comp Lifter with lifter bars already, I wasnt planning on pushing it too high due to it being a roller setup, I just didnt it want it not to be able to pull in the high 6K rpm range,if I needed it to, otherwise I will have to go with a 3:27 gear maybe. I am a fan of doing more with less, as you can tell by my 306 setup before I hit the wall, I just want to keep it simple:

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133447.0
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131834.0

14. 93AlexCoupe

I already ordered a F303 for my BOSS 306 B/C of Brent's setup, I'm also running the comp link bar lifters, we'll see how it goes :2thumbs:

15. ThomasWPT

Brent, what intake manifold were you running with that F cam?

16. ducatibrian

He was running a ported/welded
    Xcellerator.