1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I found 3 measurement for a v-band. How do you measure it properly(turbo exit)

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 7mgforce, Mar 3, 2010.

1. 7mgforce

so I measured my 74mm t6 turbo on the dp v-band flange and found 3 different measurement.

the first:

is measured at the inside diameter which is 4.5"

the second is also measured at inside diameter but after it flares out a bit. that measured 4.75"

and lastly the outside diameter or the v-band is 5 2/8"

My question is when buying a v-band to match it which size do i buy?

I found no spec of this turbo online that shows how big the exhaust side is.

Its garrett air research 74mm t6.

2. t70cobra

3. steve beckley

Very cool site! Always wondered the EXACT way to measure. Thx again

4. 7mgforce

Re: I found 3 measurement for a v-band. How do you measure it properly(turbo exi

Cool thanks that site is very detailed. Bookmarked

5. silverback

Well, ok, a page that shows you how to take a caliper to a flange... I don't see how that helps anything unless vendors actually start posting all those dimensions as they have them described on that page.

6. 7mgforce

well thats what I thought at first but I figured when Im buying a flange Ill measure mine and ask the vendor to measure his flange following that spec.

other than that I thought that the "flange height" is what they are talking about when a vendor say its a 3" flange?

am I thinking the wrong thing?

7. silverback

So, what, every time you need a part you're going to call, talk to some monkey that doesn't know anyway, end up talking to 2 or 3 people or making a couple of phone calls before you find out that they don't have the one that is the size that you need, and even if you find it have no good way to check if one place has it for $20 vs another that has them for $65?

8. lsxmalibu

READ THE RULES

9. 7mgforce

Re: I found 3 measurement for a v-band. How do you measure it properly(turbo exi

Actually the only time I need things like this when I'm unsure of the flanges that is on a turbo. Since I don't have the specs on my turbo. So far it can only be 4.5 to 5" so I'll be doing some measurement when I get a chance to narrow it down.

And about calling the monkey I won't. I rarely call I usually email it's easier and if they don't know Ill move to the next vendor. Besides email takes less than 30 seconds it's not a time killer.

I'm just making everythings right before I order to reduce cost.