1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

I am doing it... The official Ebay turbo build! DUW!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by turbostang, Dec 5, 2006.

1. turbostang

I have just ordered a mustang "twin turbo kit" This is supposed to include headers, turbos with built in wastegates etc. No downpipes, no cold side. Total price with shipping was 649.98. Once the parts arrive I will critique them from top to bottom, from shipping to fitment. I am also going to take the turbos to Majestic Turbo of Dallas and have "dave@majestic" check 'em out. I'll have disassembly pics and all. Yes, I am taking one for the team. I have yet to find a complete build, thread, documentation etc.. on any of the cheapo ebay turbo stuff. Before anyone asks, yes -I can build a complete kit, no problem. https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62552.0 That is not the point. Can it be done cheaper than ebay stuff? maybe. Can it be done with flipped shorties, yes - but that is not the point either. The parts were not bought from SSAutochrome but from a similar company with similar feedback.

This kit is going on my "street" car for the sole purpouse of R&D. The motor in my street car is tired at best, but soon after the new year I will get the new heart transplanted in it. It's on the stand waiting to go in. It will probably be a "slow" build with my current work load...but I will keep this thread alive with pictures and documentation.

I don't want this thread to turn into a bashing contest of the ebay businesses, so leave that out. For now, this is what I bought.....

2. ChrisSracing

3. Mike Gager

cool man sounds interesting, subscribing

4. asemaster

:clap: thanks for "takinjg one for the team" I have wondered about that stuff. It looks like good stuff. I will be watching this thread.

5. johnsonupnu

jdm kit???

6. 78pinto

good thing someone stepped up to give this kit a try....and post the real results, be they good or bad. :2thumbs:

7. turbostang

There's also another guy that I got in contact with, who bought the same one. We'll see pretty soon just how good they are or aren't. I don't mind modifications to one thing or other - but at the same time I don't want a pile of useless shit.

8. RDriedger

Also subscribing, I am very curious how cheaply it can be done and hopefully with some reliability.

9. boss9

subscribing

10. cougarman

subscribing :2thumbs:

11. killacal

subscribing

12. turbostang

Well... FWIW - I also bought a BOV at the same time I got the turbos/headers. The BOV seller has already contacted me to let me know that it has shipped. The even send you a link to try to pressure you into leaving positive feedback before you even get the part! Yes, the BOV is a cheapo made in china copy of the Greddy Type RS. (they are all made in china, I don't see why there is a cheap one and an expensive one :huh:)

Edit - about 1 hour ago I sent the first inquiry to the vendor I got the headers and turbos from. We'll see how long it takes for a reply.

Anyways - this is what the BOV should look like.

13. jtsmg

Good luck. These guys are local to me and want even give me an address to come by and pick their shit up... Goooooood luck with your build. I hope it turns out good for you. :2thumbs:

14. turbostang

I can relate. VSRacing is local to me and I can't come pick up parts either. :huh:

15. Clutch1911

I've tried to stop by ssautochrome too, they wouldn't tell me anything where they were located. Stopped responding as soon as i brought it up.

16. 347notch

i cant wait to see how this works out for you, my bro needs some cheap turbos for his car and this would be good if they actually turn out good for you

17. 78pinto

Maybe a mail order only place, but VSRacing is definatly not "shady" like ssautochrome. I have bought many things from VS and his prices are good and packed well. I don't have one bad thing to say about Viren. I would definatly recomend him to others.

18. 19COBRA93

Looks like a good setup. I can already see yours will fit better than my headers did, and mine are from a good reputable company. Turbocharging is a real basic concept and looking at what you've got, it can only work. A few years ago you could hardly junk yard a kit for this price. I think you'll be more than pleased considering the money you haven't spent.

19. craggar

I bought pretty much the exact same setup but with headers for a sb chev and an intercooler. I have it on my Vega right now but have put things on hold since I may be picking up an 80 Vette that I was going to use as a street car and put them on there. I can take some pictures of the headers and turbo's mounted and post them.

20. DaOnE51T

Looks like a good project. Keep us posted with pics. Subscribing to see the end result.