1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

[Hypothetically Asking] Could you use the turbine as the compressor side/compressor as turbine?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 724QuikFast, Mar 23, 2018.

1. 724QuikFast

I was wondering this because if i got this turbo that has a 55trim cold side, 70trim hot side
    could i send the exhaust through the compressor so i now have a 70trim turbo?

Sorry if the question sounds dumb but i think it's a great one.

2. tbird

Yes you could.
    Technically, probably not. The compressor wheel is aluminum and would not take the temperatures that the turbine wheel normal takes. Most likely melt.
    And Im sure the blade designs are much different in that one is trying to compress air and one is excepting air to drive its rotation.

MCA and 724QuikFast like this.
  3. MonzaRacer

NO, materials not compatible

4. Jeremy

No, it would do nothing but break the turbo, the exhuast pressure would just build with rpm and as the compresor wheel spins it would start compressing the exhuast till pressure in the compressor housing exceeds exhuast presure coming from the motor and since no additional air is being fed to the motor, it would then stall the compressor wheel, shatter it and melt stuff from all the heat being produced like mentioned. Yes it would spin the turbine but the tubine wheel/housing is not capable of compressing the air as it travels through. So no compression would take place in the turbine anyway to feed the motor.