1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

hx40w or powerstroke turbo

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by 85notchback, Sep 14, 2011.

1. 85notchback

Just woundering which one you would use on a stock short block 302 with some rhs heads victor intake with a 750hp in a mustang? The reason i ask is because i have both of these turbos and they cost me nothing. The hx40 has a 19cm turbine and the ps turbo has a 81ar turbine. This is just a street car that gets a littile track time runs 11.90s would like to see some mid tens with a littlle boost. THANKS

2. Drac0nic

They are both pretty close spec wise but I would say without hesitation the Holset. The reason is if you want to go to a standard turbo later it makes it easy.

3. Hahns5.2

The 19cm HX40 is also pretty desirable (the smaller of the two T4 flange turbine housings).

4. Forcefed86

Sell the hx40 to the import guys and buy an HX52 pro. :D

5. 302f150

I have an hx40w, 23cm t4 housing, 302, gt30p heads, f303 cam, intake. I would definitely recommend the hx40 over the powerstroke, holset makes top notch stuff, the only difficulty is the compressor housing, the outlet is a holset only flange unless you just grind the lip down and put a silicone coupler on it.

Are you sure you have a 19cm t4 housing? Seems like 90% of the hx40's I found have a t3 housing, I would be worried that it would be a restriction at 400+ wheel horsepower. You can look through my build thread or ask for some more info if you'd like.