1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Question and help

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by vht, Oct 11, 2014.

1. vht

Building a 6.0, 2000 model, and would like to know if the LS9 cam requires moving the cam sensor? I was thinking it was the 1 bolt cam gear and did. Also, running a 76 MM On3 turbo, CSU carb, room in the front of this 51 Dodge is at a minimum, I have a intercooler, but do you think I could get by with not running it since it's carbed? I'll be running between 8 to 12 lbs on the street. If anyone has a cam, LS6 or something I can run the pack 1218 springs with for sale please let me know. This is a budget build that I want to be able to drive any where.

2. Mnlx

The ls9 does require a cam sensor in the front cover, so yes it needs to be moved if running an ignition that requires a cam signal. You may get by without an intercooler at lower boost levels, but at 12psi i'd be looking for some form if running pump other than e85. I have the same issue with my old rambler, and went meth injection which works great with limited space. I'm sure you've already been told this, but the on3 76mm turbine (p trim, unless you have the 7875) is quite small for a 6.0 especially if you add a good cam (not a ls9). With the small turbine i'd run the stock cam.

3. vht

It's the 7696. I got a good deal on it, new in the box. Should have mentioned, pump gas, and yes I was going to do meth injection for insurance. I know the turbo is small for a 6.0. It's a street rod project. I've been toying with the idea of 2 of them. They're small, would look pretty cool and should spool good. This thing is still under construction so to speak. Hope to have it going sometime in spring. Thanks for the reply.

4. Mnlx

I thought this sounded familiar... with meth injection you should have no problems. The problem with 2 is that you have 1600-1800hp worth of compressor with small turbines.... not a great setup either. Twin 60's with the same turbines would be a nice setup with some .68, or .81 housings.

5. vht

Milx, What would be the best ebay type turbo to run twins? I could sell this 1. Later when I go through the bottom end, I'd like 700 to 750 RWHP. With what I got now, 600 would be a plenty. This will just be a cruiser, may take it to some street drags they have every now and then for fun. What have some of you all ran and had them to hold up on the street? It would make it easier with 2 3in pipes on the exh. I would imagine I'd need 38mm waste gates. After selling the foxbody I changed my goals, would love to build a track car but the money isn't there. This will be a budget street rod that I want to be able to drive on a 100 mile trip with no problems.

6. Mnlx

Twin 60-66mm's with p trim turbines would be a good all around fit, and give you some a/r choices. The P trim is old tech but still good on a budget.

7. M&M Turbochargers

8. vht

Thanks for the info.