1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

230VAC to Standard Wall Outlet

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by 98firebird, Oct 11, 2014.

1. 98firebird

I'm in need of a solution for my new Hobart 165i, AC/DC Tig machine. The thickest metal I'll probably ever weld is mild 3/8" plate to auto floor sheetmetal. I'd really like to be able to keep my welding equipment completely mobile - meaning, I can drag it down from the garage to the unfinished basement and go at it without having to rewire. Is there a directly adaptive transformer that I can buy to make this work?

2. 98firebird

3. devo9er

Do you have easy access to your breaker panel in the basement? I would just put in another circuit there. Or if your laundry room is in the basement chances are you already have a 240 circuit you could share.

I recommend against the transformer:
    The welder you mention draws 21 amps @230vac. That's 4,800 watts. If stepping that up from a 120 circuit you'll need double the amps, and fatter wire. You'll need to wire a new circuit just for the transformer anyway, it will need a 50 amp single pole breaker which your house does not have and some 6 or 8 awg wire. Plus you have the cost of the transformer.

4. 98firebird

Laundry appliances are upstairs. We have a 220V box upstairs in the garage that I installed for our Chevy Volt. I was hoping to not have to integrate another 220V outlet, but if necessary, I will be able to. Would I be okay running a ~50 foot, 220V extension cord from our outlet in the garage down to the basement? Or am I going to significantly drop off power going into the welder?

5. larouchedem

You could look at the wiring requirements in the paperwork. If you plan to ever welding thick alum, you'll need to follow it. What does it call for? 10ga? 8ga? For DC output, you can get away with less, but you might regret it later. What gauge is the cord? 50' is a long way. Smarter guys here might know if that means one step bigger or not. Galv conduit and roll of the proper wire might be cheaper in the end.

6. 98firebird

I'll refer to my welder's manual tonight after work, and update, thanks for the input and suggestions thus far!

7. 98firebird

All the manual lists is the minimum size, being 14 awg, but that seems awfully small, I was also thinking more like 8. It also recommends that the power cord length be no greater than 70 feet.

8. devo9er

depending on the listed current, 14 ga for 15 amp or less, 12 ga for 20amp, 10ga 30amp..good rule of thumb for distances up to about 50ft. I don't understand how they are recommending 14 ga when max power consumption is is 21 and 23 amps @230v respectively, right off the specs on their website. At up to 50ft you would be fine with a 10ga, longer I would step down to an 8.

9. 98firebird

Going to do a little bit of measuring, then drop by Home Depot this weekend and pick up supplies to make an extension cord. I'll update the thread with my findings and also supplies used.

Thanks!