1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

hx35 h1c exhaust housing

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by Weesers, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Weesers

just got a couple turbos. a hx35 and a h1c. how do i tell what exhaust housing they have? i think i read somewhere there was two housings a 12cm and a bigger one. so what do i look for to identify which housing i have.

2. Weesers

also. how hard are these to rebuild? new seals bearings and such.

3. Weesers

ok i found info on rebuilding. cant come up with much on the housing other then they cam in 12, 16 and 18.

4. Weesers

last think for the night. are the rebuild kits on ebay any good? anyone recommend a place to get a kit if the ebay ones are junk?

5. turbostang500

The housing will have its size cast into it such as "12cm" or "16cm".
    Rebuilding is a little different than just throwing new bearings and seals in. I would say to just let someone that knows tackle that. Parts would probably be best to source from a cummins/Holset dealer if you decide to tear it down. The precision of the internal parts are much to close to trust ebay junk. Not saying it wont work but it is probably the best place to find a problem.

6. Weesers

thats what i though but its not anywhere on either housing.

7. turbostang500

Take some pics and post them.

8. Weesers

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. turbostang500

Looks lile a t3 flange. That might only come as a 12cm housing but I dont remember.

10. Weesers

i thought i read somewhere that only the 12 came with a divided housing but im not sure. i can verify the t3 flange in a minute.

11. Weesers

it is a t3 flange

12. Mnlx

Look just inside the turbine inlet flange, there should be a number cast into the housing.

13. Weesers

nailed it. its a 12. thanks man. any word on the ebay rebuild kits? there a $60 difference between those and the ones garret sells. if i could use the cheap ones and they last a while i would rather do that.

14. Mnlx

I think there are some decent kits on ebay, but knowing which one is the tough part. You can go to your local diesel/turbo shop, or one of the vendors here. VS racing, and M&M are both great to deal with.

15. Weesers

cant find any rebuild kits for it on either of their pages.

16. Mnlx

Its probably nothing they are going to list on their site, but pm them, and they will help. I have purchased compressor wheels, and some other odd parts from Viren at vs, and a turbine housing from M&M both will treat you right.

17. Weesers

thank you for the heads up.