1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

HP Twin Turbo fitment....

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by tommyhil4_6, May 25, 2004.

1. tommyhil4_6

K, friend of mine recently began the installation on a 01 bullet. Same TT setup that many of us 96+ cars have purchased (modular). Seems that they spent 5 F'ING HOURS *GRINDING* to get even the headers on. ONLY THE HEADERS in 5 hours. They said it will not fit with the k-member without grinding. I have no tools specifically for grinding and don't feel like buying any. I was told straight forward install. No modifications needed to stock accessories and NO GRINDING.

If you read this HP please chime in as this has me very aggrevated as this is not what I bought the kit for. Would have just gone supercharged route if this is the fact. Enlighten me please. And the friend is actually one of the most knowledgeable folks around and he has not swayed my judment of the kit. The installation has as I am not a professional and don't have the required tools like he does.

Edit: Also, are your dealers receiving kits before the customers who purchased first? Just wondering as thats got me in a bind as well since my car has been on blocks waiting for the blasted thing. Give me a call at (801)979-1062 and we can hopefully clear this up, i'll contact you tomorrow.

2. lightweight

I dont know what he's having to grind? I've installed a set and there was no grinding involved. Where was he grinding? Pics? I can tell you from personal experiance that this is not the case.

3. tommyhil4_6

The twin turbo kit on a 99+ motor? how have you installed one when people who ordered first don't have theirs?

4. lightweight

Because I work there. ;)

5. tommyhil4_6

I'll call him tomorrow and have him post some photos for me and get them to you. Lemme ask ya, jet hot is busy I know. My kit has been there for almost 2 weeks. How much longer do you think it will be, and also will it be shipped directly to me since I heard you had some issues with them going back to you. If it does go back to you and all is well as far as the coating/shininess and no holes. Assemble them there turbos for me and save me some time :) I'll call you tomorrow once I find out more what had to be done. Sounds like a PITA

6. lightweight

Check your pm's.

As far as your kit, i dont know your name so i dont know the status. I have an idea on it i think but since i do production not shipping/recieving i cant be positive.

7. tommyhil4_6

PM returned

8. BlackStripes

dude, why you don't call HP directly before posting here?

I call them every week at least twice... always got an answer. Seems like everyone there knows me :D

Actually, if you call, they can call Jet-hot for you right there, and give you shipping dates... they charged my credit card yesterday and delivered my kit :cool: ... and before you get mad, i ordered before you :p

9. DC-GT

Maybe he is calling and it isn't helping???:confused:

10. tom351

you were probably told 6-8 weeks too right?

11. BlackStripes

probably... is just hard to believe how i called going to SEMA last weekend... and they gave me Nathan's cell phone to ask some tech stuff... and he answered everything.

Tommy, for how long your friend has this kit? .. if i recall correctly, Tom told me that the first kits (pre-production) had some defects, that's why they had to change a couple of things.. i think they raised a little bit the turbos.... not sure about headers ..

Well... hopefully we are going to check the product soon.

12. 01TTCB

That might be my car. Grinding???? WTF??? I don't think I like the sound of that.
    If that is my kit maybe I got it first because it was ready first, my kit might be slightly different from yours. Maybe this means yours is coming soon. Also I have a unique situation (time frame) that I can explain to you in a pm if you like that might cause my kit to get shipped before yours if in fact it has.

13. tommyhil4_6

My friend ordered in october of 2003. Did you order before him? He still has no kit..... I ordered first week of january and they continue to tell people who ordered a month AFTER me they will get it BEFORE me. Just at my wits end.

First time I called, they didn't even have the order on my correct name and didn't know who I was. Every other time I called about it (mainly time frame since I'm sitting with a none turbo car for going on 6 months) they would not have a definitive answer. I was told 40-60 days max and it has ben 3 times that with ease.

14. BlackStripes

probably i didn't explain myself correctly.... you said :

that's the friend i was refering .. the one you said spent 5 hours grinding.... probably his was a pre=production

15. tommyhil4_6

Guess the kit will work with a D&D k member but with the QA1 it doesn't fit correctly. We shall see I guess.

16. Dustyn5.02.5

ditto on calling them twice a week.

17. SoL_93GT

I did quite a bit of grinding on my car too, I don't think any turbo kit fits perfectly. If you wanted something that was easy and uncomplicated to install you should have gotten a blower. If you don't have access to air tools you have no buisness installing a turbo kit. If I didn't have access to air tools, my kit would not have gone in period. I was a little upset about it at first but it's a turbo kit, not a supercharger. It's really hard to fit all that tubing in all of those little spaces, it's not easy by any means. I went through hell putting mine in but it was worth it. And I'm glad I did it myself because I learned alot from it. I really think you should have delt with them directly instead of complaining about someone elses turbo kit on a public forum before contacting them first, they don't deserve that. I've never had any problems reaching Jimmy or Nate, Jimmy even gave me his cell number one time so I could get him on the weekend. Those guys are awsome, and do anything for their customers to make them happy. Good luck finding another turbo company like that.

Briane

18. lightweight

It is made to fit with the QA1. THe d&d is almost identical to the QA1 but as far as i know, nobody has installed the kit with a D&D kit yet. The shop will find out this week if it has any problems with a D&D. Highly doubtfull it will.

Second, the kit can and should be able to be installed without the use of air tools. You dont have to hack your car up to install the kit, thats the whole point in the design. If that was the case i know it would be a hell of alot easier to build the damn 4.6 kits.

19. tommyhil4_6

Well SOL when you are promised there is NO modifications needed. No meaning none, zilch, zero, nada thats what I expect. I don't shell out 6+ grand for something that isn't going to fit. They change from a single to a twin due to the amount of "modifications" and I never said I did not have access to air tools, I don't feel like fucking up the integrity of my car for a turbo kit, (ie: notching frame rails, cutting fenders, grinding k members, grinding unibody pieces) I never expected it to be easy but I do expect HP to keep their word. 6-8 weeks shipping, going on 5 months... I think i've dealt with it fine, and I posted it here to see peoples opinions and any info they had so I new what to expect. HP is a good company, and they are nice people, very good at what they do but I bought this kit for the simplicity when it comes to "turbos." I can buy any power adder I want at any time, money isn't an issue but integrity and someones word is to me. I don't think they intentionally have delayed peoples kits for months and months on end but it would be nice if us so called "waitees" could have some heads up on whats going on, why it's taking so long etc etc. People that ordered the exact kit a month ago are being qouted arrival times not far off from mine, and I was by no means close to the first but months before these folks. I expected a similiar situation as these turbos companys don't have the luxury of mass production like chargers but whats the deal with exscuse after exscuse... if you give a date keep it. Maybe incentives or discounts are in order? Whats your opinion on that? At this point I wish I did go the Supercharger route and would have been done with it, summers half over and my cars in the garage on blocks.....

Lightweight, i'm on yahoo IM right now if you wanna message me - Tommyhil5_0

20. JeffFoster

Doesnt the 4.6 TT HP kit come with a K-Member?