1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

hp tuners for ls engine swap

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by rooneystang, Apr 3, 2014.

1. rooneystang

Hi Just wondering if anyone has had experience using hp tuners with a ls engine swap?

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

3. rooneystang

Thanks a lot that sorted me out

4. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Yeah, I had to resort to a specialized google search, since our search doesn't find 2 letter (HP) items very easily.

5. 1bad03snake

I use it on my engine swap. Its not to hard to learn once you find a few guides or the dvd's

6. sarg

It has a learning curve even for someone who knows their way around tuning, but it is quite doable. Many knowledge articles out there about it and tons of forum discussion. That being said if you do not require a trans controller and don't already have the harness, computer and hptuners, the stand alones on the market can be a good alternative and almost as cheap. I have $600 in my harness, $200 in the ECU and then HPtuners pro. It adds up for sure. The stand alones can be easier to pick up on as there are not so many emissions related tables and such. Most also offer some sort of auto tune these days to help out with getting the fueling started. I would do a good bit of reading on both sides of the fence before jumping into either. I think if I had to do it over again I would have done a stand alone with a trans controller.

7. rooneystang

I already have the factory pcm and harness, it's going in a Fox chassis. I also have an 01 firebird. I thought hp to be able to use on both vehicles.

Is it that much easier using ms over hp?

8. sarg

It just depends on your level of understanding and what you are tuning. If you are just doing some long tubes and a cam hptuner is pretty simple most of the time. If you are doing 3 bar SD with monster injectors and a big cam then it can get a bit more tricky :) If you already have some of the stuff and want it for both vehicles, it is probably a good investment.

9. rooneystang

Ok that sounds good. I have a pretty good understanding of how this stuff works, I've had and tuned a couple of turbo cars in the past, just nothing that has been an engine swap, and everything I've done was with a deltaforce tuner.