1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

race turbo install feedback

Discussion in 'Turbo Kit Feedback, Shop and Product Reviews' started by andydallas, Feb 25, 2003.

1. andydallas

I run an outlaw car in FFW, I am very 'picky' the car, its the car that Les Bear went undefeated in Pro 5.0 in 99 (yes, undefeated).

The car was built by racecraft, motor by Kuntz, and transmission by Libery, and had the latest and best available.

After the 2002 season, and FFW not changing turbo restrictions for 2003, it became obvious that turbo was the only way to go. Now I had a decision to make, who to trust with this 'super trick' car.

After talking to a lot of people, and having a couple of long visits with Keith and his gang at Pro Turbo Kits, I choose them.

Not only were they to install a turbo, intercooler, install a FAST system and associated hardware, I also needed to change the transmission from Liberty to a Bruno/Lenco and make changes to the Racepak to get additional data from the turbo, switch from one to two parachutes, and a laundry list of other changes I would need.

The install was a big, big job, and remember I'm picky with the car,,I made many visits to San Antonio to see how work was progressing, and had digital pictures sent to me weekly to follow the progress.

While they were working on the car, Kuntz and Co were buiiding a turbo motor, Bruno and Lenco were shipping units and it all had to come together.

It wasn't a 'quick' job, the car had to be nearly completely re-wired, along with more fabrication than anyone of us expected.

The result of all this work is a true work of art,,including dual 5"exhaust (really trick I've never seen anything like it) , transmission cooler, large intercooler, and a turbo mounted in front of the motor in the center of the 'grill' area,,,,

Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to get the car painted before the first race this week in Orlando, and some carbon fiber work still needs to be done to the one piece front end,,but everything is working,,and just needs lots of tuning.

Very rarely do you have this large of a project with ANY shop, and not end up with large arguments,,but this is the exception, Pro Turbo Kits took care of my car like it was theirs,,they keep me involved with decisions that needed to be made,,and were always totally professional.

I trusted Pro Turbo Kits with this large project, and I was right to do so,,,,now we have lots of tuning left, and it may be a few weeks before we get close to the potential of the car,,,,,but I can tell you, they are still on the phone with me asking how things are going, and assisting with any problems I might run intol,,,pro turbo kits is going with me to lease a track after Orlando to go through more tuning,,,

You can't ask for better serving than that.

andy collins

2. JeremyMP

If only the daily driver got as much attention as you do then I am sure they would get treated the same...Especially if I had $30K to drop into my car.

Not saying PTK isn't a great company just that the business the majority of the site subscribers and the business that you do is like comparing apples to oranges.

3. Snipe656

:withstu: ... At least we are getting turbo kit reviews from people who are non-active on the site as well.

4. andydallas

I guess the point of my post (and I am brand new to the site) is that I have been lucky enough to deal with people like Craig Liberty at Liberty transmission, Jeff Prock at Applied Nitrous Technology, Bob Stroud at Stroud safety, etc. If I had a problem, I had the name and number of the best to call.

When I went turbo, it was a new world, I didn't know any of the 'players', I didn't know Brand X from Brand Y,,etc, etc, when I selected a company to do my turbo work, I had to put a LOT of faith in their judgement

I had to hope I chose someone with the knowledge to do the job right,,and PTK has proben to me that they have that knowledge,,,,

this is no commercial for them,,if they had screwed up, I would be on this board bashing their brains out, I shoot straight up,,,but I'm glad to say all I can do is say how good of a job they did.

here is a pic to show some of the work

andy

5. Trentk

sweeeeet

6. goose

looks sweet, wish i could be sponsored by PTK too. just kidding, i got my kit through PTK and had some issues but Kieth has taken care of it and i'm pleased with his involvement with my perticular situation and the outcome of it. with all of the snow lately i haven't been able to get to my garage to work on the car but hopefully i'll have some numbers by the end of march.

7. turbocobra

I bought a PTK kit as well, but mine is a little differen than that one ;)

Andy-

What is up with all the breathers in the valve covers? It looks like a nice job, but I would have thought you would have been running a crank case evac setup of some kind.

It does look like high quality fabrication!

8. Jimmy

a few people that i have talked to that have dealt with turbos for a really long time advocates against vacuum pumps with turbochargers. I dont recall why but it was a complicated explanation

lol

9. EvilTwistedTwins

My .02

I've seen Andy post on some other boards for a long time now and i've never seen andy say something that isnt true or lie fib etc. so what hes saying i'll bet money is 110% from the heart.

Very nicely done andy, are you going to be running any OSCA with that bad boy?:rockon:

If you dont mind me asking did you ever talk to Urist about one of his systems? if so what did he have to offer you? i have talked with him a few times in the last couple months about something i got working and he has been the most helpful person yet! good luck with your setup and hats off to PTK for doing a good job.

10. Snipe656

Re: My .02

Actually, I was being sincere, I wish some other companies customers who are non active(and active actually) on here would publish reviews. Heck look at how many people have bought/installed Cartech/TTI/TDC(?) kits on here, yet not one review from them. A Incon or DDMI review would be kind of funny ;)

11. 88SSP

I wonder if that set up would work on my stock block. HAHA.

12. EvilTwistedTwins

Re: Re: My .02

I agree, it would be nice to here others feed back on different companies. I know i would like to hear somemore feed about about PTKs race-thumper kits.

13. Snipe656

Re: Re: Re: My .02

I would like to hear on the TTI, Cartech(Shane you listening?), and the Urist ones as well.

14. EvilTwistedTwins

:withstu: yes it would be

15. Clem Eastwood

i guess i will be running a supercharger then. screw that not using a vp shit.

16. BADAZZ COUPE

So use crank case evacuator or not?????

17. andydallas

sorry it took so long to post, I was in Orlando figuring out how in the world to drive the car (a turbo with a bruno lenco is quite different from a nitrous motor with a liberty transmission),,the car will work, its a matter of my getting adjusted to it, and it to me,,

I used a crank case vacuum pump when we ran nitrous, but didn't feel it was nearly as important on a turbo motor (for one thing I was running around 16-1 with nitrous),,others do run one, so I don't thing anyone knows, we may try one later,,also we have a real problem with space in front of the motor because of the turbo placement

Dan Millen and his crew were VERY, VERY HELPFUL to us this weekend,,,we pitted beside dan, and he along with Rick and Scott saved us a few times with pointers to help us adjust to the new setup,,and helping us tune the car,,,(I shouldn't say helping us, I should say doing it for us,,,they were great to have around,,

it's great to see how many racers come over and help someone get adjusted to a new set-up with great information

because of some small problems, our first pass with any boost was in the first round,,so if you can imagine staging a car with a turbo for the first time in a real race,,,you can imagine the rest,, (no I didn't red light,,,and actually beat the other guy on the tree,,problem was I hadn't let my boost come up enough and got killed down track),,,

it's a learning experience

andy

18. Bobo

Wow looks purdy :bling:

What size turbo is it? Get that bad boy spooled up outa the hole and let us know how it does ;)

19. ShaneH

Andy,

That thing looks great. Buster's been telling me about it for the last few months but I never got by to take a look at it while they were working on it. Looks like you got enough there to be VERY competitive with Dan once you get it all sorted out. Good luck!

bridal-shoal