HP Performance 94-95 Mustang/Cobra Turbo Kit Write Up

Discussion in 'Turbo Information Articles' started by TTF/Ken, Nov 10, 2003.

By TTF/Ken on Nov 10, 2003 at 1:53 PM
  1. TTF/Ken Staff Member

I originally contacted Jimmy at HP Performance in late June. He told me that they didn't have a turbo kit for a SN95 car yet but he was very interested in creating one. The donor car for the kit was owned by co worker Nathan's mother and I believe it was a 95 GT vert with a saleen front bumper. Once they had completed the prototype SN95 kit I was contacted by Jimmy and I put down a deposit to start on my kit. It took approx 6 weeks for my kit to be delivered due to delays with the NX nozzle which was an option I had HP install on the IC piping.

The install of the kit required some use of a sawzall. I cut the entire passenger fender open to fit the kit, while this is not totally required Ifound it easy to cut a big square out then using a bunch of different size hole saws. I also ran into a problem with the AN-10 oil drain fitting would not clear the frame rail without notching it. As of right now the kit will not clear the smog pump due to the downpipe going where it once was. The kit does not clear the A/C condenser lines because of the turbo being right there, they are in the process of bending new lines to clear the turbo but i haven't gotten them, but Iwill soon. Other than that the kit was fairly straight forward to install. The kit is completely Jet Hot Sterling coated. I really like the quality of the kit, and i do not regret the wait, price or end result. The car spins the tires from a 3rd gear roll at 70mph with 275/40/17s right now. Something the nitrous could never do. I highly recommend this kit to anyone who wants to haul ass. The list of mods are the following:

94 Mustang GT with T5
    HP SN95 turbo kit
    1 7/8" headers, 2 1/2" crossover pipe, 3 1/2" downpipe to tailpipe, 3" intercooler piping
    Intercooler core was something like 31" long x 8" high x 3 1/2 wide same bottom to top flow
    Limit Engineering T66 P trim with .81 A/R with tang v band housing
    TurboXS RFL blow off valve
    APEXi AVC-R boost controller
    Innovate Wide Band oxygen sensor
    Western Motorsports SDS stand alone computer with GM 3 Bar MAP sensor with plug and play EEC IV harness
    MSD 6A with coil
    Nitrous Express Street EFI single stage wet kit
    AFR 185cc heads with pedestal mount, smog legal
    Edelbrock Performer 5.0 intake with 3/8" spacer
    Steeda #19 camshaft with Crane Cobra 1.7 roller rocker arms
    Stock block with Canton Racing Main Girdle support
    DSS Forged Long Rod kit, DSS Pro Lite Pistons, Forged I beam rods 5.400" comes out to 8.2:1 compression
    Ford Production Crankshaft
    Professional Products SFI harmonic balancer
    Rotating Assembly balanced by Larry's Engine and Marine
    Canton Racing 7qt drag race oil pan
    Melling M68HV oil pump with ARP driveshaft
    Cometic Head gaskets
    ARP studs and fasteners used throughout engine
    CenterForce Dual Friction Clutch with new style upgraded backing plate, new design to prevent common failure they had before
    Steeda Tri Ax
    Steed G track suspension including double adjustable upper control arms, alum. lower
    3.55:1 ring and pinion
    Ford Racing Driveshaft
    All smog equipment has been removed, expecting a race weight of me and 1/2 tank of fuel in at 3375lbs.

By Brandon Hayduke (BlackMagic)

Comments

Discussion in 'Turbo Information Articles' started by TTF/Ken, Nov 10, 2003.

bridal-shoal