1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How to spool faster

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 350s10, Feb 9, 2010.

1. 350s10

Does anyone know any tricks to get a turbo to spool faster. Any turbo, on a chevy 355.

2. denmah

probably covered in a search a few times, but here goes.

swapping the exhaust side to a smaller size
    heat coating/wrapping
    nitrous oxide
    changing / retarding / advancing your cam
    two step / anti lag
    longer gears

just to name afew

3. xr8tt

Bigger dump pipe or larger from turbine, no baffled mufflers.. ...
    Back pressure here is bad news..
    Play around with timing and fuel tables...
    Retarded timeing can help spool...
    BTA advanced brings engine up on converter ...
    Experiment either way.. Yes a two step works well...

4. 350s10

Whats a two step?

5. stangboy86

6. 350s10

How would that effect spooling?

7. Will Evers

When the car is on the 2 step, it drops spark but keeps fuel flowing. The fuel ends up igniting in the exhaust and really gets that wheel going.

8. alowerlevel

9. JZ 97 SS 1500

Twin scroll housing turbo with a spool valve......simple and it works.

10. blown385

Anyone making these at a " reasonable " price yet ?

11. JZ 97 SS 1500

The spool valve or the turbos?

12. blown385

the spool valves . Last I heard they were around $500

:doh: just saw the Ebay link . yea , $500 . Its almost tempting . My S480 spools pretty good , but it would be nice to see the difference .

13. 350s10

Does anyone know how much a stock 4 bolt main chevy 350 block can handle? How about with main studs?

14. goatnipples2002

15. brianj5600

All the things listed are valid ways to make a turbo spool faster, but w/o knowing more about your combination, some of them will hurt the overall performance. If you have a bad tune and the wrong convertor on the car, changing the AR on the exhaust housing will help spool, but hurt top end because of back pressre. If you have an automatic, retarding timing will hurt spool. If you want help with your combo you need to post up specific details of build and current performance, not dyno mumbers or ET, but when it start showing boost.

16. ZombieSS

It's worth the $500, at least to me. I run one made by a company that is out of business that sold them for $250. I can tell you I'd pay more for another one if I need it. Made a big difference on my car.

These are the results I got and I can improve them if I hold the valve shut until a certain point and let it snap open. I will be doing that next.
    Turbo is a 1.25 a/r T4 S380 (thanks Jose).

17. GangBang Malloy

18. 350s10

Whats the strength of a chevy 350 4 bold block?

19. dug

again, you should probably try out the search button :2thumbs:. Trust me it works. I have researched this topic myself. But from what I have come across there are some guys pushing them to 800+. I'm not sure if those blocks were filled at all. The 2 bolt w/splayed mains is stronger I believe - but would cost more for machining and the new caps. And again as someone has already mentioned, what are you trying to do? certain ET? Certain HP goals? what do you have already to work with etc.

20. blown385

I'm running a stock 4 bolt one piece rear main block from a GM 350HO crate motor .

I should have an answer for you soon . :D