1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How to make a 99/04 baffle gas tank keeping the OEM sending unit

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by 99TTGT, Jan 22, 2010.

1. 99TTGT

From 99 to 04 the modular engine 4.6L Mustangs were equipped with a returnless fuel system.
    This system utilize a pressure sensor in the fuel rail to control the amount of fuel that the fuel pump will supply to feed the engine.

This new gas tanks had the fuel pump attach to the bottom of the tanks,making a challenge for installing a sump and retaining the OEM fuel sending unit for the fuel gauge to work properly.

Here I will explain to you how you how can you make your on for under $80 total, keeping all the OEM accessories working.!

The 1st step clean & rinse you 99/04 fuel tank a few times and let it dry in the sun for a day or two.
    Then you will look inside the tank were you fuel pump bracket sits. Then flip the tank up side down and mark it.
    Take your fuel sump and place it in the opposite side & trace it with a marker..

su (Medium).JPG #ad

half inch (Medium).JPG #ad

2. 99TTGT

using a 2" hole template mark 5 holes for you baffle
    Make sure that 2 holes are on top of the an fitting bungs
    This will help keep fuel at all times in the sump ..
    Then take a 2" hole saw and start drilling

3. 99TTGT

after you are done, install the gas tank plastic shield and mark your 5 holes.
    after you are done line up the sump with the shield, mark it and cut your rectangle

shield (Medium).JPG #ad

4. 99TTGT

For the return we are going to use a -6 steel bung
    We are going to drill a 5/16 hole next to the feeler neck & weld the -6 bung on top of it.. :welder:
    This setup have work great for us for years ,good up to 1200RWHP threw a Auto.

sixx (Medium).JPG #ad

close sic (Medium).JPG #ad

5. 97tntcobra

man ive seen that tank somwhere

6. 99TTGT

ha,ha
    I am making this one for a body of mine... :welder:
    We have invested $65 in the sump & $5 in the -6 return fitting, maybe $10 on welding supplies = $80 total..

7. blown99

You run an exhaust hose from a running car into the tank before you weld on it to cut back on a fire/explosion? (the inert exhaust gas is supposed to absorb the gas fumes and prevent a fire) or just rinse it out with water? I've made and modified a few aluminum tanks in the past and no matter how many times I rinsed the tank with water I always ended up with mini explosions once I began welding.

8. 99TTGT

I rinse it a few times & let it dry on the sun .
    Then I fill it up with water to the top & let it sit outside for one week or two.
    Then I drain it & let it dry on the sun really good , prep it , tac it ,then weld it.
    Done it like this for a few years, never have any issues with them... :cheers:

9. y2k2gt

Nice work... when you going to move this thread like all the other ones?

10. 99TTGT

As soon as I get a E mail from a member reporting this tread , to move a topic like every mod gets in a daily basis.
    You know the Report to moderator KEY...

You will be amaze how many treads get reported on a daily basis to all of us.
    I call them the witch hunters others call them Crime dogs.[ members that report treads]

11. gotageta5oh

nothing to see here... move along. :D

12. stangman9897

Hey don't let the cat out of the bag :D

13. wildcardfox

Nice write up :welder:

14. 99TTGT

thanks for the kind words.

15. stangman9897

Is that your car on the dyno.? and you in the pic.

16. 99TTGT

Yep, that's my TURD in 2007
    It has evolve twice after that.

nitt (Medium).JPG #ad

17. stangman9897

18. 99TTGT

19. furchaser

I just gotta know who this Dickhead is ?
    Please explain yourself before I unleash the hounds of hell on you.
    X2 :2thumbs:

Edit : I just figured out it was the guy with the louvers on the back glass..... :homos:

20. y2k2gt

1st. Why the name calling?
    2nd. Plenty of threads get moved because they are not about the mod engine. To me this thread is no different. Really don't care if you don't like something about my car.