1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Tune and Data Log

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Russell, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Russell

I would like you opinion on the best way to tune and data log my car.

It is a 87 notchback that was put together from a few other cars. It has an all stock 5.0 H0 with a 1989 A9L computer T5 and 4.10 gears. I am considering entering one of the local bracket class and would like to be able to data log my runs to help with driver technic as well as chassis tuning. I plan to turbocharge it in the future and would like to learn tuning while NA.

I would like to be able to add a wide band O2, flex fuel, and maybe wheel speed sensors, other considerations are cost, easy to learn how to tune, and support. I have thought about the following but I am not sure they support all the add ons. I am open to other options.

Moates or Tweecer

Megasquirt

GM computer with HP Tuners

2. B E N

I have a moates set up, its fine but the learning curve is very steep, and the forums are sort of dying, it does work and its probably the most budgety of your choices.

3. Mnlx

Any of the plug and play Micro/Megasquirt stuff will do what you need, and are quite easy to tune with. The Micro is very affordable but the input/outputs are limited for speed sensors and such.

4. fastspec2

Megasquirt pnp.
    Has all the flexibility you are looking for and is still very affordable.
    It might not bee the absolute cheapest, but I believe it will be the cheapest system that allows for the I/O you want to run.

5. jaydubb

Megasquirt PnP

6. jaydubb

I wasnt aware a GM ECU could run a 302 Windsor...

7. Mnlx

It doesn't care, as long as you can give it the proper crank, and cam signals.

8. jaydubb

Has anyone done it yet? I havent seen it posted anywhere. I havent been on TTF in a while. I do know HPT very well though...

9. Disney Lincoln

Yes it has been done.

10. jaydubb

Can you point me in the right direction? I got some Fox body friends that want to get tuned BUT dont want to invest in Megasquirt (Sounds backwards, right? LOL!)

11. jaydubb

I am about to shut Google down with the searches... LOL

12. Russell

I have searched a bunch, and several people have talked about doing it or what it would take but I have yet to find a good build thread.

A junk yard wiring harness and computer should be pretty cheap. Add the cost of HP Tuners and it might be about the price of the mspnp. I was thinking i might would used HPT more in the future.

13. Disney Lincoln

HPT is not cheap. That alone is cost of MS2 system. Hardest part of the swap would be the 24x wheel, and that wouldn't be all that hard.

14. Russell

I was thinking the cam sensor would be harder.

15. Mnlx

You would need a dummy dist for the oil pump, so the cam signal could be setup there. Like Disney posted, I don't see the benefit unless you're running a Gm trans, or want something else that only the Gm ecu will do. The Ms will do everything needed, and is much simpler in terms of tuning, and installation.

16. ss496

AEM engine position module

Drops in like a distributor......depending on which one you buy...it will send out 24x crank and 1x cam signal.

But I would go the megasquirt route if you already do not have HPTuners.

17. ss496

18. 91turboterror

Can’t you do the same thing with the 5.0 explorer setup it has a cam synchro and a 36x crank trigger on the balancer? And run coil on plug? Would megasquirt do that?

fastspec2 likes this.
  19. fastspec2

Yes, rather well. If you want to keep the explorer ignition system.
    Otherwise rock the mustang dist. and call it a day.

20. ss496

Yes, depending on which megasquirt is purchased....the "plug and play" wont because it is set up for the TFI.