1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

plug gap

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by jonnyc, Jun 4, 2014.

1. jonnyc

Has anyone heard anything about changing ur spark plug gap to a tighter gap for a turbo motor. I read on a forum that that was a good idea. Just wandering cus im about to change my plugs this weekend. Also I just bought a meizer however u spell it. Any feedback on that would b cool to.

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Yes, they should be gapped lower to prevent blowout. Low to mid 30s if you're not running much boost. If you go above about 10 lbs start dropping the gap lower. A lot of it will also depend on the engine too.

3. jonnyc

Ok thanks. Thats why I joined this thing.

4. Rickracer

My take on this is that it depends on the available spark you have. The more powerful spark that is available, the less you need to close the gap. I'm running an MSD 6530 box with an HVC II coil, and run my gap at .030 with up to 16 psi on E85. Once I go to 20 psi or more, I may drop the gap to .028". According to many sources, including MSD, E85 is more demanding on any ignition system.

5. jonnyc

Thats a lot of good info. Thanks guys.