1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

How to cut rear quarter openings for tire clearance?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by 1foxbody, Nov 7, 2008.

1. 1foxbody

This is on my 92 foxbody mustang im going to run a Hoosier 29x10.5w tire for now with a 10 inch wheel with 6.5 backspace and the rearend is going to be narrowed 2.5 inches per side. When I have enough money to upgrade my rear wheels and brakes I will be running a Hoosier 29.5x10.5w tire on a 12 inch wheel with 7 inches of backspace.

I need to enlarge the front and rear lower part of the rear quarter openings for more tire clearance and don't want to hack it up.

Should I roll the lip out and cut it then roll it back in?

Ideas,Pics,Any help?

Let me know anything will help me out. thanks

2. Project X

3. 1foxbody

4. 86svo

5. 1foxbody

Damn that way looks nice as hell but it looks like a lot of work. Maybe Dave can come in here and give me some tips.

6. TeamZmotorsports

Measure twice cut once :D

7. 1foxbody

lol shittt everyone knows that come on you know you want to help me. :D

8. TeamZmotorsports

we just streched the opening 3'' twards the rear because were allowed + or - 1'' on the wheel base so we'll go to 102 when we center the wheel!

9. papis408w

stock wheel base is 101, correct? I have your mini tub/coilover kit w/ your adj offset lowers. Should I lengthen the wheelbase to 102?

I'm trying to square the rear to measure for the driveshaft.

10. 1foxbody

So has anyone just opened up the lower part of the quarters for clearance?

11. WaterPog

I wonder if you could cheat the front wheel back an inch and move the axle back 2 inches and still be legal....

12. move

13. botietr

Those are made of fiberglass.they sell a bonding material to glue them on but after a while the vibration will seperate them and you will see the line right where they are bonded.same if you try to glass them.